akai dsp

Yeah....
Spend the extra money for the DPS-16.
It records at 24 bits and has a 56 bit internal processor. Superior sound quality for a home studio.
You'll kick yourself later if you buy the 12 track unit.

[This message has been edited by Buck62 (edited 07-23-2000).]

Thanks guys! Who wouldn't love 16 tracks, but money is always an issue. I've been recording with 8 tracks which is ok, but I'd sure like to record in stereo, which makes my machine a 4 track. I can combine tracks of course, but I hate losing the control over individual parts at mixdown. Any suggestions? Is it possible to process 8 mono tracks into stereo at mixdown?

The Akai DPS-12i is a real cool machine. It comes with a program called Mesa (pc and Mac). You can use this program to automate the mix and other settings. I think it beats the Roland VS880 by far, if you look at value for money.
The i-version also has an internal IDE-interface next to SCSI, making it possible to use low cost high capacity harddrives. I've been thinking of buying a VS880, but the DPS-12i changed my mind.

Hey Buck62, I was reading about the Akia, and it said that the EQ is 56 bit. Couldn't find any info about what the internal bit precision of everything else was. I also couldn't find anything about it's dithering.

But hey, at least somebody is making some improvement! Most stand alone boxes are doing at best 24 bit internal processing.

Ed

First of all, this board is a great resource, the best on the web!!
My question:
Roland 1680 or Akai DSP-16????

I'm a drummer with my own very small practice space and would like to start recording there.

I have a close friend who is a professional engineer and he's been trying to steer me away from Roland. When I ask why he says "because it's a Roland!"

I know two people who have Roland's. One a 1680 and one an older 880 and both love them...
Any and all opinions are appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by twist:
I'd sure like to record in stereo, which makes my machine a 4 track. I can combine tracks of course, but I hate losing the control over individual parts at mixdown. Any suggestions? Is it possible to process 8 mono tracks into stereo at mixdown?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, it is. Theres no point in recording mono sounds in stereo. So voices, guitars, bass and such are usually recorded in mono.

Regebro,

How are tracks that are recorded in mono converted into that lucious stereo I hear on professional recordings, and how can I duplicate it in my basement?

When you mix down, you mix to stereo. You pan the mono sources somewhere from right to left in the stereo image. Also a reverb adds space and lusciousness" to the sound.

More help on this you can get in the "Mixing/Mastering" forum I think.

I would also like to hear opinions on Akai vs Roland. Does Akai have the automated mixing, mastering algorithms, and mic simulations like Roland; or is that stuff overated? I think these internal "aids" sound useful to a non-tech guitarist like me, but what do others think? Also, is Roland compressed or not, I've heard it both ways? Thanks for any advice.
PS How does the new Yamaha fit into all of this -- is it better than all the rest?

Back