Akai DPS16

mikeyp62

I've had an AKAI DPS16 for a couple of years now, but the temptation to switch to computer recording became too great, and I bought a Firepod. I love the Firepod, and I want to get the Mackie Control interface to go along with it. The only problem is, and I feel guilty for saying this, the DPS 16 seems useless to me now. I should probably sell it and put the money towards the Mackie control, but I'm wondering if there's a way to make it usefull. I'm a little attached to it, but I could really use the money to buy useful toys. Right now, the only reason it's not packed up in it's case is because I don't want it to look like I have a studio with no mixer. I even have all the inputs plugged to make it look like it has a purpose there.

Mikey, you have on your hands one of the great dilemmas facing most of us here who don't happen to be independently wealthy.

Sell the old gear that we know well and has been so good to us and take not much for it, or clutch it to our metaphorical breast and tell it we'll never forsake it. Either way, you'll probably wind up in a year deciding you did the wrong thing and either wishing you had it back or that you had sold it a year ago when it would've fetched more dosh.

Since this is such a common question faced by us all at one time or another, it has to be up to you. The research I would recommend before deciding is simply going to ebay and doing a search on 'DPS16' and see what they're going for --- then you'll know how much you stand to profit/lose if you do decide to sell it.

And welcome to the board.

I guess deep down I already knew that, and I know what I have to do. I just wanted someone else to tell me to get rid of that old toy. For some reason, of all the toys I've cycled through, this one has endeared itself to me. I only posted that message hoping that someone would bash the DPS 16 for it's lack of 1/4'' outs and the fact that it's quite ugly. Then I might have felt a little better forsaking it. It's very loud, too.

We used to record on my DPS16 exclusively, because it was all we had.

Since my partner and I switched to computer-based recording (about 3 years ago) we still find uses for the Akai. Now that we've upgraded mics, preamps, etc, etc and turned our little studio into a business, the Akai comes in handy for use into the stereo 9/10 channel on our Ardvaark Q-10 when we need more "in" channels than the Q-10 allows. Basically, it's become a mixer and we use it for talkback when recording full bands. Another way it's helped us is that we sometimes do "live" recordings of area bands. The Akai works perfectly for this purpose by using the TRS "ins" for all the vocals and then we combo that with a stereo mix of the music straight from the mixing board for larger bands (some of the bands we record have full horn sections) or just use the other "ins" directly from the guitars, bass, and drums. I think using the DPS16 for live bands is way better than a notebook-computer recording setup, because you have real faders and trim controls to work with.

Anyway, these are just a few suggestions on why it might be a good idea to keep that Akai.

I'd be interested in buying the Akai from you.

I have the exact opposite problem.

I hate my Firepod and I also can't get my Delta 1010 to work.

Talk to me...

VI

I have a DPS16 and use it about every time I record anything. Most of the stuff I record is in the field and it's perfect for that. The only downside is the limited four aux sends, and my approach to that was to upgrade my mixer to a Mackie Onyx and build a computer to use the firewire interface. But that gets pretty complicated and for a small gig, I just grab the DPS. So yeah, it's an issue, but not much of an issue. The unit still seems to be selling for between $600 and $1,000 unless it has the 10 GB drive, which sells for a little less.

It is loud as hell, but replaceing the fan with a unit with more blades seems to help. You can also put in a bigger fan (an 80 mm computer case fan will fit) and put a potentiometer on it so it runs slowly and more quietly.

Keep it - it works and will work for a long time. Those suckers just don't crash and the preamps are killers. There's more utility in the unit than money if you dumped it for a couple hundred.

But if you must dump it, drop me a PM or sell it to VI. He knows his stuff and would do it proud.

PS - Welcome to the BBS. We're all certifiably insane around here. You'll get used to it. But watch out for the blue pills. :cool:

[QUOTE='Bazz' Smith]Hi there,
I have a problem getting my music from the DPS 16 to cd. Can anyone out there help me - PLEASE!

Thanks, 'Bazz' Smith[/QUOTE]

I got the SCSI burner and found it to be a pain. I've had the best luck moving submixes to the computer and ripping from there. But the CD burner, while doing what it claims, still is awkward. I expect one needs more patience and discipline than I have.

I did the same thing. I got the DPS16 and then got into recording/sequencing on a computer. I use it for recording DJ mixes or just about anything quick and dirty now. There is a program for PCs that you can get for free that parses the backup cds for individual wave files and writes individual tracks that you can edit in your pc. I also hook it up to a mpc and do the old school midi thing. It really is a great box and its a good digital mixer long after the thrill is gone. I still use mine quite a bit just to do stuff fast because it is so freaking handy.

That and the thing is rock solid. Mine's been trucked to loads of gigs without even a road case. I toss it in a Tupperware box!

Back