Akai 202D-SS Surround Stereo

EDAN

I picked this little Akai deck up at one of the local thrift stores this morning for $5.00. It's called the Akai 202D-SS Surround Stereo. Here's a pic of it I found online
Akai 202D-SS

I haven't had a chance to mess around with it yet, but at the thrift store It powered up, a couple meter lights work, Rev and/or Fwr work. It's in "fair" condition cosmetically with a small dent on the face at the top and the usual chips in the fake wood veneer exposing partical board. It looks like a 1/4 deck and runs at 3.75 or 7.5 ips.

I'm going to do some googling and see what I can find. Anyone know anything about this unit?

looks cool :cool:
also I don't know a shred about it :p
You have the deck already, right? So try to record something ... google later :D
post about how does it go.
AKAI(s) are here

Won't have the time to mess with it until this weekend. It's up my girlfriends house at the moment. From the little research I've done looks like it was mostly meant for playback, a very early version of surround sound and there were 1/4 reel tapes of popular songs of the day (75-76) just for this application. The deck was only made for one year and never took off .. well, not until twenty years later. I read were you need a special reciever for it and four speakers. Although I'm thinking that was back in the 70's and most all recievers now have four speaker inputs. I also read were you can't record on it, yet it has a record button, hmmm. Well, I have some old 1/4 tape from my 388 days so I'll get my hands dirty this weekend and report back.

Quad, baby,...

QUAD!

It looks like you should be able to record live-to-4-tracks simultaneously with this unit, and play back 4-simul to mix to stereo with a mixer, or just amp that baby up with a 4x4 monitor system for true QUAD playback!

[No track-by-track overdubbing in sync, though.]

Surround-Sound? Sheesh!

QUAD!

/DA

Attachments

• 202a.gif
    202a.gif
    53.3 KB · Views: 13
Back