AK-47 Power Supply or 7 Pin XLR Problem?

bdam123

Hey guys,

I own a Telefunken AK47 and its been giving me some problems lately. Sometimes I'll turn it on and its super quiet, sometimes its at correct volume but it filters the sound, and sometimes its fine. Usually when its not working correctly, I'll fiddle with the power supply or cable and it starts to work ok. And sometimes I'll just give up on it cause I dont feel like dealing with it.

Now I'm really not sure where the problem is occurring. My initial guess is the cable cause its always been super microphonic but it could also be the power supply cause when I do have to fiddle with it, it seems like when I nudge the input jack just the right way it starts to work.

I was considering replacing both the cable and the power supply and just moving on. Now the cable that came with the unit is made by Accusound. Its a 7 pin XLR with Neutriks connectors. Its also $160!!! I was wondering if any 7 pin XLR would work and would I be compromising my sound with another cable company. The power supply is just as expensive but I dont know any alternatives so I'm just going to have to shovel out the cash.

All input is appreciated. Thank you so much.

Firstly, have you been in touch with Telefunken USA? They have a good reputation for supporting their products and it could be a known issue.

Failing that, it sounds like it may be a simple bad connection - take it to a tech!

Stewart

Just to add to the above, there are lots of ways to wire a 7 pin cable, and there is no guarantee that a third party cable will work.

If fiddling with the cable makes the problem go away for a while, then it really sounds like a bad contact or broken wire in either the cable or the PSU. Wiggling it may help in the short term, but probably makes it worse over time.

If this is the case then any decent tech should be able to sort this out for you for a lot less that the new cable. You don't state your location but if you are in the UK then drop me a line.

Stewart

Thanks for the advice. I didn't fill out the warranty like an asshole so I'm hoping they'll still give me a hand. I'm gonna give them a call soon.

So I actually did some searching and found that Accusound is the company that manufactures the cables for Telefunken. I saw that they offered a 7 pin XLR made for tube mics on their website for lower than what Telefunken was selling a replacement cable for. Only thing was it had a different model name. So I emailed them to inquire about the cable and they offered to replace mine free of charge!

So shout out to Accusound and doing the right thing.

Back