AirMac M2 + Saffire Pro24

reyeartnexus

Hello everybody

After a long research I'd need some first hand feedbacks on this please.

For several years I have been using a nice Pro24 with my MBP 2012 (via a Firewire-Thunderbolt adapter) and Logic.

Now, I have purchased a new Macbook Air M2 aware that Focusrite is not supporting that sound card for arm Macs and that I would need a new one. However some people on Amazon and other websites state it is actually possibile to keep on using the old Saffires with a second adaptor (this: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 https://amzn.eu/d/1Qkc7uF)

Does anybody have a real direct experience with that?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi there - that adaptor isn't cheap - 55 euros for a cable, but Amazon UK has them for 29. The spec suggests it is two way down to Thunderbolt 2 - so your question is really if the two adaptors will function together? I really can't say for certain, but I have a persons firepod, and I have not been able to get my MacBook Pro m1 to work with it. The old drivers work with windows, but I've had no luck with the MacBook. Sorry I can't help, but I suspect your interface will be the same kinds of issue.

Hi Rob thanks for your reply. Definitely not cheap indeed, tho cheaper than a new sound card. And I like to avoid to buy both in a row :"D

was your presonus working with an intel mac?

I guess the two adaptors would work fine together on a intel Mac, but I am not sure about the M2. Someone says the sound card is not seen by the system while other the opposite... hopefully someone has tried here.

Thanks!

My old intel MacBook Pro (2017) would work with my Presonus when it was new - and it also worked with an old JVC video camera with firewire using one of those adaptors that have the two USB C type prongs. The adaptor broke and I could not get another with the older thunderbird socket. So I lost connectivity with the Mac, and moved the presonus to a windows system where it still works fine. I tried to bodge some cables to let the M1 connect to the JVC camera but never got it to work, nor on the audio device. I'm wondering if it's a cable thing - length, impedance etc Plugging in the cable simply brought no response at all from the M1, nor on the intel version - as if not even connected.

I read somewhere that (when it works) it works only when the device has an independent power supply, so not provided by the laptop through the firewire/adapted cable. Was it the case?
Saffire cards have also often an independent power supply so I hope this is also true.
Thanks again

This was the question that I was faced with when I got my iMac back at the start of 2020, with only USB 3 and Thunderbolt 3 jacks in the back and my Focusrite Pro 26. I didn't have experience with even the TB2->FW since I'd been using a 2010 MBP and then 2012 Mini which still had FW hardware. I decided that it wasn't worth the gamble, since the state of interfaces had really moved on a bit, especially with USB C/3 connectivity and speeds. You can get a nice USB 3 hub and actually use it, too. Yes, more money but it is 2023, after all. My 2¢.

Thank you Keith, you re right it is indeed the other option on the table. Though for my needs the pro24 would still be more than sufficient and it would be worth a try at least.
Thanks!

Just a final note if anyone is interested in the future.
I did test it with all the adaptors and so on, it does not work though the sound card is seen somewhere there is no way to make Logic or whatever detect it.

Also Focusrite support confirms there is no way to do that with that hardware family.

However some other sound gears like the Scarlett ones are reported to be OK with M1. Not yet tested myself on M2 and Ventura OS anyway.

thanks for all the comments

Back