air conditioning - anyone using portable (hoses) units?

chugheshc

Hi folks, I just got the quote back on a "split unit" air conditioner
for my little studio space; $2700. ouch.
so back to plan B, buying a portable unit with two hoses that will sit on the floor inside the studio and duct out of small hoses.

anyone using something like that? happy with it?
thanks,
C.

I have a Sharp unit that uses a single 5" flex hose and a window slider insert - it was about $600. It has just over 30 dBA noise level with fan at low setting, which isn't quite quiet enough for recording but is fairly usable for a video editing room, which is where it's being used. It also works as a dehumidifier in winter, and provides VERY dry gentle heat in the room in that mode... Steve

I had a window unit before, and with my current equipment/music type
it was basically inaudible, the specs I've seen have mentioned 62db (no idea
how/what they are measuring). I need AC mostly for rehearsing & mixing, for tracking I can cut it off should I ever do something subtle....
I may try to resilently mount it, and even enclose it in some way to cut down the radiated noise.

Thanks for the info Knightfly, I may try and search around for a panasonic
like you mention.
C.

Whoa! $2700 for a "Mini-Spilt"?!!!!!!!!

That guys trying to rip you off! Stay away from him.

They should be much cheaper and quiter.

-Blaze

If you don't record for long stretches you can run the unit between takes. It will almost certainly be too noisy to run while tracking.

Give some more details about the specific space you are dealing with and I can give more detailed ideas.

basement.jpg

heres a layout for you, innovations.
thanks,
C.

Actually, mine's a Sharp not Panasonic; here's a link, I have the top one of the three.

http://www.nextag.com/sharp-portable-air-conditioner/search-html

I also have a Whirlpool unit that's just a dehumidifier, and it's a LOT louder - this Sharp is the quietest of any portable unit I've seen, but I think some of the mini-splits are a little bit quieter - just be sure you're aware that mini-splits don't bring fresh air in EITHER; you'll still need some sort of air exchange setup... Steve

Innovations said:
If you don't record for long stretches you can run the unit between takes. It will almost certainly be too noisy to run while tracking.

Give some more details about the specific space you are dealing with and I can give more detailed ideas.

That's what I do.

thanks for the suggestion Knightfly, I am waiting for my Sharp unit to arrive... I'll get some pictures up as soons a I have everything in place.
Been building the acoustic treatment, getting the space ready.
thx.
C.

Back