Aiming your speakers downward

itsme1234

Hi. I was wondering if aiming your speakers downward I'n you studio helps with sound waves being reflected especially if you have thick carpeting.

Maybe but it will also cause the volume to appear less at your ear which in effect will cause you to turn the volume up defeating the purpose. My $.02... Best thing to do would be to treat the walls/ceiling.

I'm new here and still learning but I'm pretty sure a carpet even more so a thick one doesn't reflect that well, so surely facing them downward wouldn't help. They are recommended to be at your ear level so that your in that 'sweet' spot of listening to whatever it may be.

tomanderson, thats what I meant. I dont want the sound to reflect, I want it to be absorbed.

Amped...I own a Studio RTA desk with a high top shelf where my speakers are placed on. I also own Auralex MOPAD monitor isolation pads which also come with wedges to aim your speakers slightly downward.

If I do not use these wedges and have the speakers aiming straight across, the sound projection will be well above my head. Aiming them downwards helps aim them towards my listening position, but also seems to aim them more towards the floor as opposed to directly across to the walls.

I was just wondering if this also would serve in helping tame some of the reverberations in the room having speakers angled slightly downward, or if it didnt make a difference and I will still have all the same issues as them being parallel to the floor.

Thanks in advance

The right thing to do would be to treat your room so that the walls aren't a problem...then, get rid of the carpet and put a cloud OVER your listening position.

"Amped...I own a Studio RTA desk with a high top shelf where my speakers are placed on. I also own Auralex MOPAD monitor isolation pads which also come with wedges to aim your speakers slightly downward."

When you said "speakers" I didn't know you were referring to monitors..

"The right thing to do would be to treat your room so that the walls aren't a problem...then, get rid of the carpet and put a cloud OVER your listening position."

Exactly..

Back