Aggressive Drums: The Recording Guide

Nice guide! Haven't finished reading it though, but looks like you got some interesting info in there.
Good job!

Oh gawd...I'd like to teach my youngest about dynamics and control first. I'd like to find a drum set that poked him in the ribs every time he came down on the crash cymbal with a club gripped marching drum stick, and an over hand forearm smash.

Cymbal should last a long time don't you think? We went through 2 Meinl's this year! I'm tired of "agressive" drummers. Lickety split...you bet. Complex timings and fills...bring it but beat the hell out of the gear! I'm sorry....I'm getting old I guess.

I'm thinking, put headphones on the drummer with the volume turned WAY up to the point of pain and let them figure it out how to make it stop.

Ok...sorry, that's my rant for the day. Had the tyke's in for the day yesterday. They've got some great stuff going. I've heard them practicing and liked it generally but something comes over them when you put up a couple mics...they WAY over compensate.

I get the opposite problem: tip tap flim flammers

If I could get them to play baseball bats instead of pencils Id be a happy guy

Excellent article. I do things differently but cant honestly disagree with what you wrote. Very comprehensive! Nice to see you havent ben taken in with the typical marketing nonsense

Proper hitting of crash cymbal

Crash cymbals should not be hit HARD directly on center at high volumes. Rather it should be hit with a "slicing" arc motion either left or right of the edge closest to you. This puts less stress on the cymbal structure and minimizes the "rocking" after hit making stabilized more quickly so it's ready for the next time! I've broken a lot of cymbals over the years before I learned this.

Also, cymbals have a MAXIMUM volume. After a certain level of attach pressure they just don't get any louder! so why break them?

dennyc765

You're singing to the choir here my friend. I'm going to forward this to my junior rockstar.

Some of you might remember this guide. Well, it's been almost five years since I wrote it. I'm currently writing an e-book on the subject. Check out the trailer!

DrumRecGuide .com

(I can't post URL's because I had to re-register)

I have recently updated the eBook to version 1.1 with some minor bug fixes. The price has not changed. It's still pay-what-you-want! If you have already bought it, you can use the original download link to get the new version.

Back