affordable mic???

Taylor Made

please help if you can...

i need a studio (vocal only) mic in price range 100$ - 200$...
give me a list an' reviews if you can...
tryin' to get a c.d. out by tha end of spring break soooooo...thanks

*own a AUDIO 2000 APM-150, SHURE SM57*
i need a major, but affordable upgrade....

The Oktava 219's are pretty cool for the money... The 319 has the same diaphragm, but the body has (had?) a nasty flaw in the design that causes a bad overtone. I hear that they fixed this, but haven't yet heard the result.

Also, MXL has several mics at and under your price barrier that you could look at. You might even get a couple...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Massive Master said:
The Oktava 219's are pretty cool for the money... The 319 has the same diaphragm, but the body has (had?) a nasty flaw in the design that causes a bad overtone. I hear that they fixed this, but haven't yet heard the result.

Also, MXL has several mics at and under your price barrier that you could look at. You might even get a couple...

John, it's the 219 that is supposed to have the nasty resonances, and the 319 that is good.

I mean no disrespect, you will not get a major upgrade for $200
You might get an at 4033 or sp c1 and that will give you more options
In His Name
Big Kenny
Got Phantom?

tdukex said:
John, it's the 219 that is supposed to have the nasty resonances, and the 319 that is good.

Isn't the 219 the kind of "flat" "electric razor" looking one? I didn't mind that much at all... I had the other one a while back also (cyllindrical body) and it had a 110 that would knock over a horse. Gawd help you if you actually "tapped" the body...

I could be mistaken on the model numbers, though... My bad if I am...

The 219 is the flat looking "electric razor" one, as you put it. I've found that mine have a bit of that resonant ring to them when I used them on a guitar cab, but for $30 apiece from GC, I'm not complaining. I haven't used the 319, though.

the 219 had resonances that affected the capsule. they fixed with the 319 redesign with an open area around the capsule, but below it is some sort of bell like structure.

shockmounting fixes most of the problems with the bell body.

for $200 you can get a perfectly decent vocal mic. problem is that you are probably gonna have to test a few to see which one works best with your voice.

personally, i would get a nice solid dynamic like a beyer m69 (one just went on ebay for $70) and back it up with a studio projects mic or something like that.

between those two you will get some nice total variety.

thanks everybody...

'preciate all the feedback....thanks again

on the point of testing mics, i've done that and it has sounded 100 times better at the store than at home.....so if this helps

my voice is very deep and raspy....

thanks again and i will research all you've given me

Taylor, are you "making" your voice sound raspy, or does that seem natural?

Also, do you want to emphathize it ala Rod Stewart or Steve Tyler? Or to smooth it out?

Last question, what mixer and/or mic pre are you using right now?

Chris

chess....its naturally that way

i'm a hip hop artist an' fits well, jus' need a mic to 'assentuate' it...

sorry 'bout the spelling

recording into 'cheap' mixer...in need of a pre-amp, which was my next topic.....remember, think cheap, cuz i ain't got no money....

Taylor, if I was in your situation this is what I'd get;

Either the Studio Projects VTB-1 mic pre, if you need only one channel for vocals,
or something like the M-Audio DMP3 for two channels.

With the remaining $$, get a DBX 242 parametric EQ (around $100 used).

You already have a good "studio" vocal mic in the SM57.

Place it effectively during tracking (no EQ).
At www.shure.com they have a brief tutorial
on microphone placement.

Then smooth it out via EQ during mixing. You'll be surprised how good it can sound
if you do all this.

After that, try some condensers out to hear what ones you like on your voice too.

And send me 10% of your first million seller!
:D

Chris

Hey guys, long time no see.

I love my at-3035 for $200.00 with boom stand & Cord. I actualy got a pop filter with mine too, but that deal is long gone.
seems like a pretty accurate mic with a little added sizzle on top.

F.S.

Postscript...

Due to a helpful post on another thread (thanks Gidge!), learned that Guitar Center and
www.audiomidi.com is blowing out the M-Audio Duo for only about $150. Picked up one today at GC, partly in order to learn computer based recording as it's also a USB connective device,
and can be used as a good A/D box.

Nice pre's too.

Chris

chessparov said:
Postscript...

Due to a helpful post on another thread (thanks Gidge!), learned that Guitar Center and
www.audiomidi.com is blowing out the M-Audio Duo for only about $150. Picked up one today at GC, partly in order to learn computer based recording as it's also a USB connective device,
and can be used as a good A/D box.

Nice pre's too.

Chris

cool! those pres are based on the DMP2 design (which the DMP3 is based on) so they are pretty clean.......glad someone took advantage of this.......

Appreciate it Gidge.

Been apprehensive about getting into 'puter recording must confess.
Seems like an excellent step to starting out IMHO. Looking toward getting "Tracktion" software BTW.

Chris

Massive Master said:

You have it backwards. The 219 has the flawed housing design. The 319 has the same dia. but a redesigned housing and is a damn good mic.

In the stated price range, I would consider AKG C2000B (not C3000B). It adds a little color, and is very versatile. Last I knew, it was $180 at 8thstreet.com, with the high quality H100 shock mount and a cheap cable.-Richie

Back