Affordable Equalizer

fred s.

Im looking for a decent outboard EQ for "mastering"...meaning my diy approach to mastering my stereo mixes before they go into the digital world (from Tascam 22-2).

Don't want to use a computer/plugin for this. Can't really afford pro mastering/and wouldn't really make much sense to do that at this point.

Though I would like a good sound. Mixes are already sounding pretty good, but IMO missing that extra final touch.

Any suggestions?

*Pultec would be a little out of my price range ;)

Fred,

Which mixer do you have? If your board has decent EQ on it already, and your 2 track mixes are already sounding pretty good, you could always just re-patch your recorded 2 track master through the board to tweak the EQ of it before it goes into your computer.

Otherwise, if you're going to go with an outboard EQ, make sure it's a very clean one that isn't going to add any additional hiss or distortion to the signal chain.

Cheers! :)

Im looking for a decent outboard EQ for "mastering"...meaning my diy approach to mastering my stereo mixes before they go into the digital world (from Tascam 22-2).

Don't want to use a computer/plugin for this. Can't really afford pro mastering/and wouldn't really make much sense to do that at this point.

Though I would like a good sound. Mixes are already sounding pretty good, but IMO missing that extra final touch.

Any suggestions?

*Pultec would be a little out of my price range ;)

Hi. I'm using a pair of Nady GEQ-131 eq's. Each is a 31 band single channel unit. They don't cost that much and I have had fairly good luck with them. I say fairly because I am deaf in one ear and hard for me to master or even get a good mix.

It's a Mackie 1642vlz pro. it's got "ok" eq I guess.

But I think a good parametric EQ (not really looking for graphic) would be a nice addition to my rig. Maybe stereo, or 2 separate single channels.

Fred,

Which mixer do you have? If your board has decent EQ on it already, and your 2 track mixes are already sounding pretty good, you could always just re-patch your recorded 2 track master through the board to tweak the EQ of it before it goes into your computer.

Otherwise, if you're going to go with an outboard EQ, make sure it's a very clean one that isn't going to add any additional hiss or distortion to the signal chain.

Last edited:
It's a Mackie 1642vlz pro. it's got "ok" eq I guess.

But I think a good parametric EQ (not really looking for graphic) would be a nice addition to my rig. Maybe stereo, or 2 separate single channels.

TASCAM used to make a pretty nice 4 channel, parametric EQ but good bloody luck finding one these days...unless ARP wants to sell you one of his? :D

Don't know exactly what your budget is, but if you can swing a pair of Speck Eqs, they sound really nice.. I've seen a pair used lately for $700/$800..Good luck...

What is your price point? You can get an ALTO brand (kinda like Behringer only cheaper...) for the US$50 range... PAiA makes a four channel parametric kit in the $100 range.

I'm skeptical that store bought cheap ones will bring you much happiness. I like the eq in Cubase better than any of those. In general all the graphic eq's I've used weren't very good, although Klark Teknik and SAE have made good units.

You could probably make a pretty good passive one pretty cheap with some pots, caps and resistors from Radio Shack, but you'd have to experiment.

If you can find a used T. C. Electronics Finalizer that might bring you more results than just an eq.

Budget is around $175-$250.00 and I don't mind buying used.

I use an FMR Really Nice compressor, which is an amazing comp for the price-kinda hoping to find an EQ like that affordable/but sounds great....if only FMR made one!!

:o

TASCAM used to make a pretty nice 4 channel, parametric EQ but good bloody luck finding one these days...unless ARP wants to sell you one of his? :D

Tascam PE-40 Parametric... that's what I use as my mastering EQ... sounds beautiful... and quite versatile with both low and high pass filters.

I had one many years ago, sold it, and then had to buy another used one. Don't know what I was thinking when I sold my first one. I can highly recommend it for mastering.

http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/pe40.htm

Tascam PE-40 Parametric... that's what I use as my mastering EQ... sounds beautiful... and quite versatile with both low and high pass filters.

I had one many years ago, sold it, and then had to buy another used one. Don't know what I was thinking when I sold my first one. I can highly recommend it for mastering.

http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/pe40.htm

Great i'll look into that! What kind of ins and outs does it have?

Aphex 109 can do 4-band mono or 2-band 2-channel/stereo. It sounds pretty darn good for being so cheap (typically $100 with PSU on eBay these days).

Otto

+1 to the PE-40. About $100 on eBay. They come up more often than others.

The I/O on the PE-40 is all -10dBv on RCA jacks.

To cover the low-end, I like to master with the Berhinger DEQ1024($85) because is has less noise and hiss than an analog graphic EQ. But, you want a parametric, I don't blame you! On the same front (digital and low-dollar), there's the Berhringer Feedback Destroyer, DSP1124P($100), and it's got 12 bands of full parametric EQ but, the bandwidth only goes to 2 octaves. But, it is quiet. I was surprised to see the SAE name on this post, 25 years ago I had a rad SAE parametric EQ, wish I hadn't let it get away. For mastering, if I had a budget, I'd get a four or 5 band full parametric analog EQ, quieter the better and the bandwidth would go to five octaves.

+1 to the PE-40. About $100 on eBay. They come up more often than others.

The I/O on the PE-40 is all -10dBv on RCA jacks.

I'm leaning towards the Tascam PE-40...however trouble finding them, anywhere.

Anything similar?

Also is the Tascam "transparent" when it needs to be?

Back