advise on latest mix (reggae/rock)

tbuck92

I've been working on this mix of a band I've been recording lately (not my band), and its not the final but I'd like to get your opinion to see if i'm taking it in the right direction. It's gonna end up getting professionally mastered so keep that in mind. Thanks!

View attachment thieves mix test.mp3

Initial listening notes:

• I feel the hihat and snare might be too loud, overpowering the guitars especially.
  • Cymbals sound nice.
  • Maybe a high shelf on the snare drum to give more crack and get that reggae snare sound?
  • The rap type vocal that comes in at about 0:53 sounds a bit muddy and too loud.
  • Horns sound nice, real nice. Any way you can get a wider stereo spread on those?
  • Maybe brighten up the guitars during the verse?
  • The toms at 1:58 are kinda boomy and undefined.

Overall, a pretty solid mix here. Great song too!

The snare def. needs something - particularly in the intro - no POP at all. I don't that shelfing would help.
the rap does need some clarity just experiment with some EQ cuts OR cheat & use an ehancer/exciter if you end up unable to get anything happening.
Those toms are a bit bigger than the rest of the kit so don't suond realistically placed & are boomy as they are so loud.
The bas sounds ill defined during the quieter part of the fe. vox. In fact, despite being relatively sparse, that's the time the song sounds muddiest.
I really like the reggae parts - the rhythm guitar "chop" could be more pronounced.
Terrific job so far.
If you really end up at your wits end re the snare & mid mud get the song stem mastered.

Love the song and the mix is nice and punchy. The rap/reggae mix is a nice new idea (to me at least). The rap vocals seem to fluctuate a bit. Not much else I can comment about. It sounds kinda like it's already pushing the limits for mastering. Nice overall mixing.

Back