advise on condenser mics

pjh6467

Hi, I'm in the market for a condenser vocal mic to use live and with my digital 8track recorder. I haven't purchased mics in a while and am not sure where to start looking. I have a budget between 150 - $200.00. I guess I need brand names and model numbers so I can look up specs. I've also never been steered wrong in these forums so any word of mouth experience with these mics is also appreciated. Thanks and have a great day pj

pjh6467 said:
Hi, I'm in the market for a condenser vocal mic to use live and with my digital 8track recorder. I haven't purchased mics in a while and am not sure where to start looking.
Here's a place to start looking: CLICK!

Warning: Don't be misled by manufacturers' hype. Hype is rampant in the microphone business. (Hints: if it says it's the perfect mike for everything, it's a lie. If it says a $99 mike sounds just like a $4000 mike, it's a lie.) Find a mike that you think might work, then post here and ask for peoples' experience with it. Better yet — use the search button (above, between "f.a.q." and "home"); most common mikes have been beat to death around here.

I'm not sure you'll be happy with one microphone for both live and studio use. For live use, it's hard to beat the venerable Shure SM58. Rugged and dependable, almost never sounds bad.

One other thing: You need to consider what your new mike will be plugged into. The preamp you use will have a profound effect on the sound you ultimately obtain from the mike.

Happy shopping!

Are you sure you need a Condenser mic? In your price range you might be better off looking at some of the better dynamic models like the Sennheiser MD421, Shure SM7, Beyerdynamic M88, M69, M160, M260 and M500 (et al).

Just a thought. :)

Back