Advices about Audio Interface.

Missdrama

Hi, i'm a new member, I would like you to help me. I want to start recording my voice/guitar, so i thought to buy the Audio Technica AT2035 (instead of AT2020, i read the AT2035 is better) and then i'd like to buy the Yamaha Audiogram 6 as Audio Interface. The problem is that i read it lags when you try to record two things at the same time. I don't want to spend a lot, because i'm just starting and i want to practice first, but i'd like a decent audio quality too. The mic costs £135, i listened to some video on youtube and it has a good sound. Now i just have to find a good Audio Interface, i can spend £100 for that. I have Windows Vista, my pc is a HP Pavilion dv5.

PS: sorry for my bad english but i'm italian, i just learned how to speak it by myself watching american tv series and listening to music, LOL.

As a set of learning tools, it should be OK. At that price point, it's all a matter of preference to what seems the most intuitive to use. But if you are just recording voice/acoustic guitar, you don't need anything fancy. But you may want a 2nd mic for the acoustic guitar. At least I am guessing you are recording acoustic guitar. Sticking with Audio Technica, you can try the 4041, although it is about $300US, so who knows what they cost on your side of the ocean.
The bigger concern will be your editing software. Say you get Cubase LE5 free with some other piece of gear (like the Audiogram 6?). Make sure you get the latest Vista drivers. Yamaha may be good with customer support, but Steinberg is gawd-awful.

Tbf the Yamaha Audiogram 6 looks good enough, but in the same price range are the Alesis IO2 (£79) and the Tascam US122 (£69) so it may be worth having a read up on those and seeing what you think.

In terms of mics, i've not tried the AT2035 so can't really comment but, again, in the same price range are things like the Rode NT1a (£140), sE X1 (£119), and the Avantone CK6 (£149) which are all pretty good.

If you plan to record the acoustic guitar (assuming acoustic) and vocals at the same time then it may very well be worth picking up a second mic to use one for the guitar and one for the vocals. However, if you plan to record them separately (i.e guitar first and then vocals) then one mic would be fine.

strange Ive seen a couple US122 questions lately...

Ive had a couple of them and they worked fine. And with Vista, for a two mic input, with line in, and phantom power its pretty good unit. The original silver metal case with blue rubber, are around for $50 and sound as good as the later models. The Mk2 I also had later and it worked as good as any thing else. Same specs pretty much. I sold and traded to a 1641/1800 model for more inputs (live drums etc..)

Currently been using a $70 used Line 6 UX2 which I personally think is the funnest unit Ive owned due to its GearBox layout...its worth looking at. It comes with all the LA2A preamps and EQ's for Mic's, and an ocean of guitar amps from Surfing to Slipknot, and Bass Amp Sims...and a really nice Tuner.

SOS:
Line 6 Toneport UX1 & UX2

works with many DAW's..I use Reaper which is great.

Thank you so much for your answer :) If for example i'd like to sing live, can i use it or it's just for recording?

I suppose you could use it live if you have a laptop and some powered speakers. That goes for any of the interfaces pretty much.

Can you tell me the differences between Tascam US122 MKII and Alesis IO2?

Tbf, looking at them and reading the specs there don't seem to be that many differences, although the drivers for the Alesis are apparently hit and miss (i think it doesn't come with it's own dedicated drivers and just uses asio4all). Saying that the Alesis does have SPDIF in and out which could be cool if you ever wanted to add another 2 ins and outs with external pre's and an SPDIF converter. The Tascam only has RCA outputs for monitors whereas the Alesis has balanced TRS outputs.

In terms of headphones, do you want them just for recording or do you intended to use them for mixing as well?

Ok, thank you. I really don't know which one is better for me. Btw i will use my headphones just for recording and then listening to it once i finished.

Sorry, forgot what was going on... *re-reads*

Right, in terms of Audio Interface they'll both work really well so it's probably worth trying them and seeing what works for you, or googleing reviews for both units and see what other users say. My money would probably go for the tascam just because i think the drivers are more stable and it's often drivers that cause the most issues.

In terms of headphones, there are so many out there but i'm a big fan of the Sennheiser range. Again, a quick google will help find reviews, there's plenty of threads on this board talking about the pro's and con's of various headphones and, if you can, it's well worth going out and trying as many as you can in shops

I think there are some cosmetic differences for you to choose, like the Scarlett front panel versus the Tascam "face up" design...I think that's a important decision for your desk layout.

The Tascam is very different in physical & software, than the Focusrite, and the Line6-UX2 approach is different than the other two, but they all will record 16/44 or 24/48 etc..

Theres many choices, but you'll be able to make good recordings with about any of them, I would imagine.

I can only speak for the Tascam really, and they were built ok. The 2 or 3 I tried...
I think used one was $50 or $45 us. Usually people sell them because they are upgrading to more inputs and in home studios not treated too badly is my experience with USB interfaces.
Theres a US 122 with a MXL mic set for $80 right now and another one for $65..on my CL USed arena.. (I'd offer $40 and probably get it).

That Scarlett 2i2 , Ive never owned. Many good reviews too.
2i2 doesn't have the Mix-Control software, tahts a plus imo..(it will be easier but with less options) I didn't like the MixControl myself, on a Saffire I tried.

Quality/Convertor note/ MikeRiversReview:
*The Scarletts use Cirrus Logic CS4272 24-bit codec (A/D and D/A converter). The CS4272 is capable of supporting 192 kHz sample rate, though the Scarletts top out at 96 kHz.
*the 2i2 is USB, uses the same inside guts as its higher end series family, of the same line,

.... its only less in/outs and bells and whistles....but the same pre's and convertors apparently.

Back