Advice

Fangar

Hello Boys,

Been away for a stent tending to life's other duties. I have been around here for a while and learned a lot from many of you guys. I am kicking around getting a new Computer based setup and need some advice.

Right now I run an ADAT that is lightpiped into my PC via the infamous ADAT Edit PCR card (Which believe it or not has worked flawlessly for me). Once each track is recorded, it all gets dumped to my 733 Mhz Pent III 256 mb ram, Windos ME, for editing and mixing with Vegas Audio. I use a POD 2.0 for geetars, and a Sansamp for Bass. ACID for Drums.

I want to get rid of the ADAT, buy a new PC and do it all with PC only. I have come to like Vegas, and don't mind keeping that around if it will work. What do I need to get rolling here. I am a 1 man band, but sometimes, roecord acoustic using 2-3 signals and vocals.

PC Recommendations (Can I just go store bought, while paying attention to things like RAM, MHZ, Drive speed, etc?)
Cards?
Mixers?

I am basically, a weekend warrior, but would like to achieve a least the quality I have now in a direct setup?

I figured I would ask those that use. I know there are tons of opinions.

Cheers,

Fangar

If you are just recording yourself then I would go with a simple maudio Audiophile 2496 card and a small mixer to hook up to it. My buddy has a small Yamaha MG mixer which works well and wont break the bank. With the mixer you will be able to control your monitors as well as the inputs to your soundcard.

Ethan Winer has a good article on using a mixer with a DAW
http://www.ethanwiner.com/mixer2daw.html

For the PC you absolutly want to upgrade to Windows XP. I'll let someone else give you specifics on what to look for in a PC, but I would say you want at least 512M of RAM and 2 fast hard drives (one for the OS and applications and another for Audio).

Hope that helps a bit.

vestast said:
If you are just recording yourself then I would go with a simple maudio Audiophile 2496 card and a small mixer to hook up to it. My buddy has a small Yamaha MG mixer which works well and wont break the bank. With the mixer you will be able to control your monitors as well as the inputs to your soundcard.

Ethan Winer has a good article on using a mixer with a DAW
http://www.ethanwiner.com/mixer2daw.html

For the PC you absolutly want to upgrade to Windows XP. I'll let someone else give you specifics on what to look for in a PC, but I would say you want at least 512M of RAM and 2 fast hard drives (one for the OS and applications and another for Audio).

Hope that helps a bit.

Very helpful thanks. I have an Alesis 8 Channel mixer now. Will that work for this purpose? I know that it has been said that the Alesis ixers are not the best. Is there another eaisier alternative to the whole halef insert thing of that article you posted?

The M Audio card mentioned seems to only have 2 rca ins and 2 rca outs.

Fangar

It should work. When I had my 2496 I went from the 1/4 master outs on my mixer into the RCA ins on the 2496, then from the RCA outs on the 2496 into the Aux in's (or tape ins ?) on the mixer for monitoring.

Hope that helps.

vestast said:
It should work. When I had my 2496 I went from the 1/4 master outs on my mixer into the RCA ins on the 2496, then from the RCA outs on the 2496 into the Aux in's (or tape ins ?) on the mixer for monitoring.

Hope that helps.

What are you using now?

Fangar

Fangar said:
PC Recommendations (Can I just go store bought, while paying attention to things like RAM, MHZ, Drive speed, etc?)
Cards?
The only real problem with store bought is fan noise (e.g. cpu, video), and especially if you use condensor mics, this could be an issue. There are quiet fans that you can buy as replacements, or you can buy a PC designed for music. They are available on-line, but I don't recall the links right now. Some people put the PC as far away as possible, like in a closet, but this can require long cabling lengths which can contribute to noise.

vestast said:
After the 2496 I bought the Omni combo (delta 66) and then bought a Tascam FW-1884.

That tascam looks pretty nice. Is that something that would work with Sonic Foundry's Vegas?

Cheers,

Fangar

Cheeky Monkey said:
The only real problem with store bought is fan noise (e.g. cpu, video), and especially if you use condensor mics, this could be an issue. There are quiet fans that you can buy as replacements, or you can buy a PC designed for music. They are available on-line, but I don't recall the links right now. Some people put the PC as far away as possible, like in a closet, but this can require long cabling lengths which can contribute to noise.

I've read a little about this, I can't see it too much of a problem I guess for the level that I am at. Especially when the Alesis tends to have a little bit of noise to it. Good advice,

Fangar

Fangar said:
That tascam looks pretty nice. Is that something that would work with Sonic Foundry's Vegas?

Cheers,

Fangar

Doesn't look like it. I just checked the website and got this:

"Compatible with MOTU Digital Performer, Apple Logic, Steinberg Cubase and Nuendo, and Cakewalk Sonar. Control surface compatible with Digidesign Pro Tools."

:(

vestast said:
Doesn't look like it. I just checked the website and got this:

"Compatible with MOTU Digital Performer, Apple Logic, Steinberg Cubase and Nuendo, and Cakewalk Sonar. Control surface compatible with Digidesign Pro Tools."

:(

Doh! Figures.

That is basically along the lines of what I think I am looking for though. Something that will replace what I have now. New PC, a simple, but nice 8 channel setup.

I guess I have to see what others are using. For some reason it is not all clickig together, as far as what I want / need. I am just tired of using the Alesis as a wasted space, when I dump the tracks down to the PC anyway for editing and mixing. Just seems that I need to eliminate that portion of the puzzle and record direct to PC.

Fangar

Back