Advice, Zoom R16, Behringer Xenyx, Cubase

silvamat

Hello,

So I have a zoom R16 that I know how to use very well. I usually use it as a recording interface with Cubase LE5. Recently I obtained a Behringer Xenyx X2442USB mixing board which helps ALOT in bettering the audio quality when I am recording but so far I can only record into the R16 and not into cubase. I would like to use the mixing board in conjunction with the R16 to record live into Cubase because the mixing board sends all of the tracks already mixed but with the R16 I can seperate the tracks from the mixing board but still maintain good audio quality. Does anybody know how to set something like this up? Or is it impossible?

Just run the direct outs for channels 1 - 8 from the mixer into inputs 1 - 8 of the R16. Control the input gain on the mixer and turn down the R16 input gains for all channels. Should be pretty simple.

That should give you 8 separate channels from the R16 to Cubase.

Thats what I'm doing now but Cubase won't record when the mixer is connected to the zoom r16. It's very strange because once I disconnect the mixer, the r16 works fine with the cubase. Would I have to change any settings within the cubase for this to work, and if so, how do I do that. But thank you for your input.

Are you getting any signal in Cubase? Like 2 channels, but just not all 8?

Do you have your Bit Length set to 16 in the R16? I believe it has to be set to 16 to get all 8 track on the USB connection. If you have it set to 24, you will only get a 2 track mix (main outs) and not individual channels.

The other thing to look at would be how you have Cubase set up and make sure you have set it up for all 8 inputs from the R16.

I just re-read your OP.

You also need to put the R16 in interface mode. Press the USB button and select the appropriate options on the R16. Look in the manual for additional information.

It can also be used as a control surface at the same time....that's a really nice feature.

Back