Advice re: Live recording plse

robf

Hi All -

I'd appreciate some advice.. I am happy recording indidual tracks in my home studio but now I have to use my home recording gear (KorgD1600) to record a band live at a gig. And I have zero experience of doing this!

...I thought the best way to do this was prbabbly to put one condensor mic in the middle of the room for a live sound. And then mic up the rest individually (guitar, bass, drums, 1 vocals, keyboards).

..The thing is ..I am not sure how to best record the vocals...should I be looking to take a line out of the PA?

Any advice re: doing this recording? Naturally my worry is too much spill between the individual mics.

ANy advice/info much appreciated!

thanks
Robert

What you need is a transformer balanced split snake, and then both you and FOH get the same, raw, mic signals. You can probably rent one from a live sound company in your area. I have not worked in Europe, so I do not know who you should contact in London, but there must be somebody. You will also need the snakes and whips to go with the split. If there is a separate monitor engineer, then you need a three way split.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

robf said:
Naturally my worry is too much spill between the individual mics.
Don't fear that. Mic bleed can be your friend in live recordings. :) Can serve as natural reverb if you use it right...

What I always did was take direct line outs (pre-fader) from the front of house board and send them to my mixer or multitracker. Most house mixers should have line outs for each individual track. You just have to find them on the back of the mixer.

You can go the simple route

If the split snake/board feed is not an option. I have had very good results using a pair of 60 degree shotguns shooting straight onto the stage, spaced out so the mic pattern covers both the speakers and the stage.

For an example of this type of sound, here is a band I recorded this way.

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Shoot_the_Driver/index-1.html

The sample is from the first album--Girl I Gotta Go.

There is another thread on this topic in the microphones board right now, BTW.

HERE

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back