Advice please on how to improve this recording? (metal)

symeboy

Hi all,

(Should warn ya that it is metal we are talking about here)

I have been writing and recording music and ideas for a while, this is my second attempt and trying to do a decent sounding one.

Drums are computerised but everything else was recorded by me in my room :)

Other than getting a better singer!, is there any advice you can give or mastering tips for a better overall sound?

Thanks guys, Si.

Attachments

• final strike.mp3
    8.2 MB · Views: 18
Hm. I'm listening through computer speakers so take everything with a grain.

Killer melodic intro. I like the music, but the vocals are...eh. I'm not saying the voice is bad, just not a big fan of the vocal lines, but hey that's metal.

You're a really talented guitarist dude. Good lord.

Great guitar playing, that's for sure....;)
The mix: a bit muddy at times, especially when lead and voice are playing at the same time. Drums are too buried, they should be driving this, especially kick and snare. Voice: I think you should look for a power metal singer......
Pretty good tune, the basics are there.

Joey :)

Gotcha!

Yeah, my voice isnt great and my range is too bassy, need to find Dio or Halford somewhere!

Will take your advice and bring the drums forward in the mix.

Im sure Im doing something wrong in the vocal recording stage, the volume is too jumpy. The DAW I'm using is reaper and I'm not sure if Im using the compression correctly...

Thanks guys

Here is another attempt with an older (better) take at the vox. Listening back to the first take I sound like Barry White! I think this one is more natural :D Although I agree that a better power metal singer is what is needed.

Thanks for your input,

Simon

Attachments

• final strike.mp3
    8.2 MB · Views: 4
Dude. Great guitar performance. Here are my nits.

1. Drums sound like they are being played under pillows.. There's no high-end at all.

2. Drum programming during fills is spastic and doesn't fit the song well at all.

3. Guitar sounds sound like they're being played under a different set of pillows... No punch, no high-end, very muffled.

4. Stereo stage is very, very thin. It almost sounds mono. Pan stuff!

5. Bass is present, but even the bass sounds muffled.

Open this sucker up and it would seriously rock! You'll also need to get a better singer. Definitely the weakest link in this song.

Keep at it! We're all here to learn.

Agree with Poetic. But I didn't think the guitars were missing highs quite to the extent he did.

Great playing. Not quite as good at singing. Vocals are WAAAAYY low in the mix.

I thought the bass was a bit too low in the mix. I'm on small headphones, but the bass doesn't seem as strong as it does in pro mixes in this genre.

Dude. Great guitar performance. Here are my nits.

2. Drum programming during fills is spastic and doesn't fit the song well at all.

Thanks for the input bro, much appreciated. But what did you mean by the second point? Don't put fills in? I think without fills drums would be very boring. Maybe you mean that you cant get good ones with computer drums?

Agree with Poetic. But I didn't think the guitars were missing highs quite to the extent he did.

Great playing. Not quite as good at singing. Vocals are WAAAAYY low in the mix.

I thought the bass was a bit too low in the mix. I'm on small headphones, but the bass doesn't seem as strong as it does in pro mixes in this genre.

Thanks man

Sure, I realise that the singing isnt too hot, but I really enjoy it! Ha!

I guess its good to be honest and admit that I will have to recruit someone better!

Actually I generally prefer the vocals in all music to be lower in the mix than they usually are, I cant listen to modern R and B (most probably because the songs are generally poor) but also because the vocals are way too loud, when I listen to decent old motown or whatever the music just sounds more energetic because everything is hitting you at once. I guess I like orchestral compositions.

I will try to attach an example of a band of a similar genre of what I do, and although I definitely really dont want to sound like anyone, I love the production and overall mix.

Back