Advice please before I spend money

woodshedder

Greetings-

I would like to build a computer based system to use in a small 12x8ft spare bedroom.

I can get most if not all the hardware at cost (through my school system) so keep that in mind in figuring budget.

I would like to record mainly acoustic instruments (guitar, banjo, stand up bass, mandolin, etc.) and vocals with harmonies, although midi drums might also be an option. I would also like to have a system that would be easy to upgrade so that I could record drum kit, if necessary (6 mics?)

What is recommended in terms of hard drive space/speed, processor type/speed, ram, soundcard, and CD burner for such a system? Ideally this would be a system that could easily handle a more advanced set-up as time, space, and expertise warrant. At this time, I am really just looking at getting the computer bought, built, and set-up, not at mic's, pre-amps, etc.

I hope to keep the initial hardware purchase around 750.00 (Keep in mind the school discount).

I hope I have given enough specifics- if not, let me know.

Regards,
Jeff Boarman

Did you have any preference as to software? That might possibly influence some of your hardware choices.

What I am running

I can only say what I am running at lowcost

I have a pentium III 1.7GHz. WIth One GiG of ram. Thats overkill I know it. I dont have an expensive sound card. I am using a SOundblaster Live card. But I use a fostex multitrack to do the actual recording. I use Cubase for my mixing. I record each track separately to cubase and mix with effects as needed. My hard drive is 120 gig. With the prices these days no need to go smaller. I run nothing else while doing recording...I mean nothing. at all....nada...zilch....getit? I am hoping to be able to afford a real sound card soon....for the time being this works.

Don F wrote:
Did you have any preference as to software? That might possibly influence some of your hardware choices.

Well, not really yet. I am thinking about downloading and trying some shareware/demos and cheapies first to get a feel for things. I have watched a friend of mine use Cubase a good bit, but I just don't really have any idea what would be best for my situation.

Regards,

Jeff Boarman

Check out the N-Track forum and go explore the mfr. site (Fasoft). N-track is fabulous to learn on, is extremely powerful and has a very active user help base. You can download a freebie and record with one channel; register and for about $60 or so you get an activation number that expands it to the limits of your hard drive. It's a no-lose way to get familiar with the look and feel of a recording / mastering program. Then once you are up to speed, you can go shopping for a product that might be a better fit.

woodshedder said:
.......I hope to keep the initial hardware purchase around 750.00 (Keep in mind the school discount....

I am trying not to sound discouraging, but...................

With a budget of $750.00, you won't be able to buy much of anything. :(

You might be able to buy a computer...

OR

You might be able to afford a sound card...

OR

You might be able to buy a few mics...

OR

You might be able to buy some reference monitors...

OR

You might be able to buy some software...

In order for you to be able to record 6 sources simultaneously, you will need a larger budget.

Post us back with some more info. ;)

Peace...

spin

I gotta agree with Spin. If you are starting from scratch you can't get much with $750 but it all depends on the level of quality your are interested in.

Remember in his original post he said he was not talking about mics yet, only the base computer.

Just about any reasonably up to date computer, unless it is really starved for memory, can do a fine job of raw tracking. More power is needed for faster editing or if you want to add effects to tracks as you are recording them.. 256mb of memory should be fine. 80gb of disk shoul be fine unless you are going to load it up with old projects or games or other stuff. In other words a plain old everyday computer EXCEPT:

Do not skimp on the sound card. Ordinary on-board sound or soundblasters are out.

Look at, for example the maudio delta line. it is generally well regarded.

If you are learning on a budget n-track would be a very good choice.

Then you have to start talking about microphones and preamps.

Back