Advice on this mix? (screamy stuff)

Enzo Polotso

Ok, first the gear:
Preamps - M-Audio DMP3 and Presonus DigiMax LT
Interface - MOTU 2408 MK3
Mics:
rack toms - 2 SM57s
floor tom - MD421
kick (front head had no hole so i stuck the mic almost touching the head) - Audix D6
Snare (top) - SM57
Overheads (spaced) Oktava MK-012
all vocals - Rode K2
distorted gtr - sm57 and md421
clean guitar - rode k2 about a foot away from the cab in figure 8

Guitars are a Dual Rec (left) and an Orange AD140 (model?), both through a mesa oversized recto 4x12. guits were low end schecters, average players.
Bass is direct, and didn't come out too great, so i left it a little low in the mix.
now my problem with it is this... i had to put the volume up for the band because they probably wont get this mastered, so I put a waves l2 on the mixdown. now im not sure if this is because of the l2 or because the frequencies are all over the place. though i did high pass and eq stuff that obviously needed it. didnt use that much compression, except on the bass.
whenever all the instruments are playing, the drums are really getting drowned out, during a cleaner part in the middle, the drums stand out and i think they sound very good. i think maybe the guitars are eating up to much of the mix? the right channel gtr is really trebly and it might overpower everything.
the overheads might be a tad loud too but...
tell me what you think, and any critiques and advice you may have.
thanks

EDIT: I mixed it again, this time i triggered the snare and the kick with drumagog and didn't put an L2 on the main outs. lemme know what you think

Last edited:
Nice effect/playing on the guitar during the beginning quiet part. Vocal could come up a bit there.

Cymbals drowning out a lot of the rest of the instruments in the loud part.

Good mix on the vocals after the second verse - good screamo's there...

Like the "Say Hello" (April Wine) tone at the end - nice.

Good song overall - just drop the cymbals and up the guitars and bass a bit and I think that's it. :D

Back