advice on preamp an set up

bkkornaker

www.bryankmusic.com
im wondering it it would be an advantage if i get a decent sounding preamp.

I currently use an old Sontracs TOPAZ mix console, and use the channels preamp......and feed that into a Presonus Firebox to run into my computer.

do you think i would hear a major difference if got a decent external preamp, and just used it in replacement of the mix console preamp?

I guess im trying top weigh the pros and cons of getting a external preamp or not. I mean, i have preamps on the console.....the firebox is a preamp too...

whats one to do?

First, I would audition your preamps from the console versus the ones in the firebox. Presonus preamps are right decent if you ask me. Of course, an outboard preamp can make a world of difference, but you most likely won't find one that beats your current ones by a lot for less than a couple hundred bucks. I still love grace design preamps, simply beautiful but pricey (about 550 for a single channel).

Just see what you have between the two. Before you buy anything expensive, see if you can audition it first at a gear shop or something.

You are probably going to have to spend a lot of money to buy a pre amp that will make a "major difference" over the Soundtracs.

You are probably going to have to spend a lot of money to buy a pre amp that will make a "major difference" over the Soundtracs.

Yeah, that Topaz board is probably pretty sweet with some pretty darn good preamps.

Don't think you'll hear much difference until you start looking at $1000 preamps, or at least a RNP.

i have pretty much the same question but im using a behringer 1202 mixer with preamps. would another external one make a difference in the sound?

i have pretty much the same question but im using a behringer 1202 mixer with preamps. would another external one make a difference in the sound?

Huge.

The difference between Behringer and Soundtraks is enormous too.

I would keep the Behringer completely out of your signal path.

hey...what about....

Yeah, that Topaz board is probably pretty sweet with some pretty darn good preamps.

Don't think you'll hear much difference until you start looking at $1000 preamps, or at least a RNP.

that being said, another option is a compressor in the insert point of the mixer instead of a pre...................just a thought.

Huge.

The difference between Behringer and Soundtraks is enormous too.

I would keep the Behringer completely out of your signal path.

Ight thanx. but for the keeping it out i still need it for the drums. If you mean just totally stop using it. And what preamp would you suggest. Moneys tight so i was looking at some ART ones that are cheap.

Ight thanx. but for the keeping it out i still need it for the drums. If you mean just totally stop using it. And what preamp would you suggest. Moneys tight so i was looking at some ART ones that are cheap.

Cheap preamps do exist. Some people hate them, but I find the ART tube MP to not be too bad. Some older Mackie Boards with the VLZ preamps can be had pretty cheap and they're not too bad.

Next level up would be a GT Brick for about $400, an FMR Audio RNP (Really Nice Preamp) for about $500 for two channels. Then, if you're ambitious with a soldering iron, you can look into amazing values on kits (like Seventh Circle Audio, or Hamptone) for about $450 a channel (after amortizing Seventh Circle's chassis costs across several modules).

Of course, I wouldn't recommend getting preamps way out beyond the league of your mics...

Back