Advice on Mix before sending off to master

The overheads are way too loud - they dominate the whole mix. Vocals may need a small boost, but then again they may be just about right after bringing the hats down...hard to tell at the moment.

Performance itself sounds fine.

The overheads are way too loud - they dominate the whole mix. Vocals may need a small boost, but then again they may be just about right after bringing the hats down...hard to tell at the moment.

Performance itself sounds fine.

Hi thanks very much for the reply. I've just lowered the hats and cymbals. Please can you have a listen to see if it's better and ready (or at least closer) for mastering.

https://soundcloud.com/lewis-james-16/used-to-be-2-unmastered""""""https://soundcloud.com/lewis-james-16/used-to-be-2-unmastered

thanks again

Use the Soundcloud tags to post it :thumbs up:

The second link sounds better without the high symbols of the first. There's still a lot there though that sounds messy, to me, in the top end. It sounds very HOT! in the chorus and almost as if you've mixed white noise in with it. Turn it down man.

Good performances throughout though and I like what I can hear but I couldn't understand a word in the chorus.

:thumbs up:

Thanks for replying. I can't post the soundcloud directly unfortunately as I've not posted enough as yet. But thanks for doing it for me now.

Are you saying the guitars are too distorted or EQ'd high in the chorus. Or is it the vocals that are messy? I have put a bit of drive on the vocals and I deliberately wanted the chorus to be loud and vocals buried a little bit to give it the feeling of more power. I agree that the words can be hard to make out. I did do a take where I really pronounced the words and each syllable very clearly but it just sounded stupid :) (it's Mama Helped me btw) I'm not too bothered about people understanding the words too much as it's not the end of the world (couldn't understand a word of early Kings of Leon) but obviously want the mix right.

Should I turn the guitar down a touch in the chorus?

Thanks in advance

I've remixed the track, lowering and EQing the guitars in the chorus, and also editing the chorus so the vocals are a little bit easier to make out.

Please have a listen and let me know if it's ok. Thanks in advance

https://soundcloud.com/lewis-james-16/used-to-be-3-unmastered""""""""""https://soundcloud.com/lewis-james-16/used-to-be-3-unmastered

The lyrics should be able to be heard and made out. The general population is more in time with what is being said than the melody. I prefer melody... But if your going for some kind of commercial acceptance you want people to associate with your lyrics

The lyrics should be able to be heard and made out. The general population is more in time with what is being said than the melody. I prefer melody... But if your going for some kind of commercial acceptance you want people to associate with your lyrics

Thanks for the reply. Would you say version number 3 is clearer.......or do you think I should record the chorus again?

thanks in advance

I think Mix 3 is the best of the bunch. When I said it sounded HOT and to turn it down, I meant all of it. It almost sounded like you were pushing the master track too hard and the top end was getting garbled. This does sound much better.

I think you could lose a little of the FIZZ end of the guitar in the chorus and up the vocals a notch throughout. The song is really good and I definitely think it's worth taking the time to get it spot on.

:thumbs up:

I hear a bunch of issues that can be easily dealt with.

How about you upload all of the tracks without any effects? This is a tune I would be willing to spend some time mixing/mastering for fun. The song seems like a worthy project, just needs some perspective - A different one.

@Mr Clean thanks for the advice. I will do as you say and see how it sounds.

@jimmys69 thanks for the offer. If you're sure that's ok then great. Message me your email address so I can send you the aiffs (no point in doing it with mp3s)

Many thanks

Ok, so I had another go at mixing it. I raised the vocals a little bit and tried to make the distorted guitar a bit clearer sounding in the chorus. Also there was a issue with the bass on the other versions in the verse where a note was out of tune which I've now fixed.

If someone could have a listen to see if it's any closer to being classed as 'finished' it will be much appreciated again.

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/lewis-james-16/used-to-be-4-unmastered""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""https://soundcloud.com/lewis-james-16/used-to-be-4-unmastered

I like the new mix, but thought that vocals sound a little boxy and midrangey in the choruses. Everything else though I like including the balance, and smooth high end, the bass is tight, it's just a slightly too forward midrange on the chorus vox, fix that and it would be the perfect mix, at least that's what my monitors are telling me.

I like the new mix, but thought that vocals sound a little boxy and midrangey in the choruses. Everything else though I like including the balance, and smooth high end, the bass is tight, it's just a slightly too forward midrange on the chorus vox, fix that and it would be the perfect mix, at least that's what my monitors are telling me.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix the chorus vocals. Is it a case of EQ'ing it up or should I add more drive/other effects?

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix the chorus vocals. Is it a case of EQ'ing it up or should I add more drive/other effects?

Try cutting it at around 300Hz or somewhere around there, and boost at 2.5kHz to help them cut through, try listening to the rhythm guitars whilst EQing the vocals and get them to blend together nicely soloed, then when they are put back in the mix it should hopefully sound less muddy overall. Obviously the frequencies suggested are only starting points but that may help you

Try cutting it at around 300Hz or somewhere around there, and boost at 2.5kHz to help them cut through, try listening to the rhythm guitars whilst EQing the vocals and get them to blend together nicely soloed, then when they are put back in the mix it should hopefully sound less muddy overall. Obviously the frequencies suggested are only starting points but that may help you

Thanks for the reply again and the suggestion. I'll give it a go and see how it sounds.

]I've EQ'd the chorus to try and bring it up a bit brighter. Not sure if it's too tinny now. Think I might prefer version 4 and go with that.

What does everyone think is the best version (or NO to both)

Thanks in advance.

I decided the chorus in version 5 was too high and tinny. So I've done another version, which I feel is better.

If someone could have a listen and let me know it would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

@:54 vocals get lost, you can probably tame it a bit, instruments pushes on the vocals, that could be tamed a tad, not as bad the second time around ~3:08.

On the verses, really clear, even with the bass upfront, really clear, good levels from my end.

Over all good tune (last mix you posted).

Back