Advice on lava lamps needed

I can't believe...

we've actually kept this thread about lava lights going for this long on a music forum, but hey, at least I'm not the only crazy one... am I ?
I've heard this could happen, don't exactly know why, but I've left mine on
overnight by accident many times & it never did... maybe they changed the composition of the goo over the years or something...

Thanks, good to know it is not a common problem. And yours is from 1970 and still working, so maybe a dare get a used one. Due to other people than us losing interest the sell for about 25% of new price.

jboy917 said:
I would definitely go for the vintage lamp, they don't make 'em like they used to...

Yeah, I guess I will go looking for a 63-64 vintage model. Probably costs thousands of dollars.

Also I looked into the turning into one stuck sphere problem yesterday with my son's lamp. If I just turned the lamp off for about 5 minutes, the goo would flatten and you could start again and make it run for another couple of hours. At one stage, funnily, rather than the usual sphere-like things it produced what looked like a bunch of sausages. I won't say what it reminded me of ... Is that normal?

I had to laugh at your last post asking if what the lamp did was normal...
Back in the 70's during my 'hippie' days, we would sit around & get um, you know, herbally stimulated & watch the lava lamp go through all its stages from turning it on ice cold to fully hot & doing its thing... Rather than try to describe what it looks like as it goes through its warming up period, may I suggest you put on some good music, plop your son & yourself into a couple of beanbag chairs or something comfortable & enjoy some quality time chatting & watching the ol' lava lite...

By the way...

I saw one on E-Bay the day before yesterday with 50 minutes left in the auction & the bid was $17.00... don't know what it finally sold for, but it doesn't look like they're very expensive...

Sorry to be a post-hog...

but it just occurred to me... I never heard of Mathmos before you mentioned it tombuur, my lamp was originally called a Lava brand motion lamp or something like that... I think the Lavalite.com site looks more like the real thing than the ones on the Mathmos site... just my 2 cents

Don't know much about this obviously, but I have learned Mathmos is the original. The one who invented it. That doesn't necessarily mean they are the best. Yet somehow, there is nothing like a real Fender P-Bass, Hammond organ, you name it. Even though some have perhaps produced better products those who started it defined the product.

My lavalamp has just burnt out; I'm thinking of replacing the factory bulb anyway, I've heard it gets a warmer look and keeps the goo a little more cohesive if you use russian bulbs in them. Anyone know a source?

there is a very prestigious little line of shops. There may be one in your town that will sell you some good bulbs. Check your phone book to see if you have a Home Depot or Lowes, or Expo in your area. Very boutique.

Wal-Mart.... $8.94 on sale for the giant stainless looking ones in your choice of colors... They're a bargain... and probably made in China to go along with alot of my mics!!!

I had the next best thing in my studio--a dark brown ceramic flying saucer lamp with little strangly coloured "windows" in it that flashed in unpredictable sequences and filled the room with dots of light, something like a disco ball. Unfortunately it succumbed to an overexuberant bass amp one day and rattled off the shelf, never to fly again. Such a loss. And it cost me $2.99 at Value Village. Such a loss; my studio has never been the same.

Tombuur, forget this Mathmos crap, unless you play a PRS or a Parker Fly. Just get the original Lava and never look back.-Richie

I actually have a PRS Custom 22 ... but also 3 Fender Strats and 1 Tele, 1 Gibson LP, 1 Burns from 1964. And then the acoustic stuff, including a Martin D28S I bought new in 1976 on the first trip my wife and I were on together. Does that influence my choice of lava lamp?

BTW Mathmos is the original lava lamp!

Richard Monroe said:
Of course. You're going to meed a Lava Lamp *collection*.

Yeah, maybe that's the way to do it. In my search for information I have actually come across a site for lava lamp collectors.

Back