Advice on Interface

dobropilot

I am still gathering info on interfaces and the more i look into it the more confused I get. I have a Powerbook G4 and am inclined (but not decided) to use Protools software.

I have a several condensor mics and feel at this stage am ok in that department. One small ART tube MP ( a bit noisy but warm) pre.

I am unsure of what to do for a firewire interface. I will be using up to 5-6 mics in live mobile recording Originally I was thinking about and 1814 or Audiofire 8. Now I wonder if I am limiting myself or should I be looking at digi 003 using faders and knobs that I am familiar with as opposed to mousing it all. How big a difference in sound quality is there between units. HELP please I feel like I am in the dryer going round and round in circles.

Based on some of the reviews that I read, I opted to go for the M-Audio Projectmix I/O and Pro Tools LE M-Powered. A lot of people said that the M-Audio AD converters sounded better than the actual Digi stuff. This was, however, back before the 003 and I am not sure if they changed their converters or not.

Another perk to this is that it was several hundred dollars less (even though you have to buy Pro Tools separately) than the 002 and I still got a control surface and the ability to expand up to 16 XLR inputs at a later time if I so desire. As a beginner, this gives me the ability to do exactly what I want for now. The unit is light for its size, so it wouldn't be too bad to move around but I haven't tried that yet. They also make a carrying case for it if you feel so inclined.

This is one man's opinion. :p

I'm guessing that if you need 5-6 mic inputs that you'll be looking for an interface with mic pres? Or, are you looking for an interface and then thinking of adding your mic pres after :confused:
There is not a huge amount of difference in the quality of the converters in the audio interfaces of that budget that I've tried. I used to own a Delta 1010 and when it broke (after 6+years of hard work) I repleced it with an Echo Layla 3G. I found that there was a slight improvement with the Layla but not a huge amount.
You should be able to make very decent recordings with most consumer interfaces these days such as :-

Echo
M-Audio
Presonus
Focusrite
MOTU
TC Electronics
Mackie
EMU
RME
Alesis

Some have 8 pres such as the Presonus Firepod / Firestudio, Focusrite Saffire Pro, MOTU 8 Pre, Alesis I/O 26 etc which may fit your needs?
What it basically boils down to is what features do you need?

Excellent comments above about what features you need, and a +1 for the Firepod. The preamps work fine for condensers, unless you are mic'ing a mouse squeak, in which case they don't provide enough gain, but for most sources they work just fine. I run M-Audio DMP3's into the line inputs most of the time, and those will provide any and all gain you could need as well.

I love my firepod. The pre's are alot better than I would have expected. I miced my guitar cab with 2-57s, ran one straight into the firepod, another into my only outboard pre right now, the UA M610, and then line into the firepod. Obviously the M610 blew the firepods pres away, but I feel they really held their own. I got a really nice sound mixing the 2 together. I think the firepod is a great choice if you have or can get FW, as long as you dont need wordclock.

I have a firestudio, and I can use ribbon mics... Is the gain stage different on the 'studio? I get a decent level from it...

I also have a digimax for a total of 16 inputs... they're not very noisy, and I like the control panel. It's decent for the price. Of course, for more money you could get a lot better. Whattya gonna do, eh?

+1 for Presonus...

Back