Advice on input levels to EMU soundcard

TheDaysDoNotEnd

Hello, was wondering if someone could maybe tell me whether this is a serious issue or not? Have recently bought an EMU 1820M which has had pretty good reviews from what i've read.

I've connected the main outputs from my Mackie Vlz to the 2 TF Pro inputs on the EMU using jacks. I've set the gain on the EMU preamps to 0 but am still getting an extremely high input signal which clips instantly. To get a usable signal on the Mackie the main output is only really reaching about the 4th or 5th LEDS and cannot go above half way. I also have the Mckie preamps set to 0. I've tried changing between consumer and professional levels on the soundcard options which makes little difference.

Will the low level from the Mackie be affecting the SNR ratio and dynamic range recieved by the soundcard?
Any advice would be great as my mind is beginning to implode..
cheers, Derek

What type of jack are you using to make the connection to the TFPro inputs?
I don't use an 1820M, but my understanding is that the 1/4" TRS connection is what you would want to use for a Line Level connection from the mixer.
On the same token, you should be able to make the Line Level connection from the mixer to any two of the six 1/4" TRS connections on the 1820M.

you should use those analog inputs to go from main out of t he mixer

Analog Line Inputs (6) Type: servo-balanced, DC-coupled, low-noise input circuitry
Level (software selectable):
- Professional: +4dBu nominal, 20dBu maximum (balanced)
- Consumer: -10dBV nominal, 6dBV maximum (unbalanced)

Frequency Response: +/- .05dB, 20Hz - 20kHz
THD+N (1kHz at -1dBFS): -110dB (.0003%)
SNR (A-weighted): 120dB
Dynamic Range (1kHz, A-weighted): 120dB
Stereo Crosstalk (1kHz at -1dBFS): < -115dB
Common-Mode Rejection (60Hz): > 40dB

NOW you are using those:

Combo Microphone Preamplifier/Line Inputs (2) Type: TFPro™ combination microphone preamp and line input
Frequency Response: +0.8/-0.1dB, 20Hz - 20kHz
Stereo Crosstalk (1kHz min gain, -1dBFS): < -120dB
Line Input:
- Gain Range: -12 to +28dB
- Max Level: +17dBV (19.2dBu)
- THD+N (1kHz at -1dBFS, min gain): -94dB (.002%)
- Dynamic Range (A-weighted, 1kHz min gain): 100dB
- SNR (A-weighted, min gain): 100dB
- Input Impedance: 10K ohm
- Common-mode Rejection Ratio (60Hz): > 40dB

Microphone Preamplifier
- Gain Range: +10 to +50dB
- Max Level: -12dBV (-9.8dBu)
- THD+N (1kHz at -1dBFS, min gain): -95dB (.0018%)
- SNR (A-weighted, min gain): 100dB
- Input Impedance: 330 ohms
- Common-mode Rejection Ratio (60Hz): > 80dB

Thanks for the replies, it's TRS jacks that I am using to connect the mackie to the TF pro preamps. Am i right in thinking that i would be better connecting them to two of the six analogue line inputs then, as they have a higher dynamic range and SNR than the TF Pro preamps?

yes one of the 6 analog TRS inputs behind. There is no preamp and can´t clip.

You can use the Combo Microphone Preamplifier/Line Inputs for Condenser / Dynamic mics and for electric guitars !!!

Back