Advice on commercial property for studio?

Agent47

Dismember
Hi all. I'm investigating starting my own commercial studio, for audio-post/recording work. Been thinking about it for years - now looking at it seriously.

Anyway, can any commercial studio owners here please tell me how they got their property? Trying to find helpful information on the web about London commercial property for media use is impossible.

For example, what kind of property do I look for - office space? 'Studio' space? Industrial space?

I'd have to soundproof and treat the rooms myself - how easy would a landlord be about that kind of mod?

Any other advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all. I'm investigating starting my own commercial studio, for audio-post/recording work. Been thinking about it for years - now looking at it seriously.

Anyway, can any commercial studio owners here please tell me how they got their property? Trying to find helpful information on the web about London commercial property for media use is impossible.

For example, what kind of property do I look for - office space? 'Studio' space? Industrial space?

I'd have to soundproof and treat the rooms myself - how easy would a landlord be about that kind of mod?

Any other advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
There's a studio in my area which is located in an old auto repair garage. They used to be located in a shop premises. I'd say just anywhere big enough that you can gain permission from the landlord AND council.

I've had the same plan, but my home studio isn't making nearly enough for a commercial studio to seem viable. Be weary, there is increasingly less work for commercial studios. Be as flexible as possible and consider other areas of income which come as part of this project: rehearsal facilities, star for a day deals, maybe even branching out to music retail...

Thanks. Although I must stress that this wouldn't be a music studio - more in the area in which I already make a living, which is recording/editing/mixing audio for radio, TV, advertising, online etc.

I have a handful of clients who'd be interested in using my own studio, rather than my boss's... :)

Just trying to find info on getting some space in which to do this. In London all it seems are available are office floors and desk space - despite there being a lot of studios around. I'd just need a couple of medium sized rooms, so I wonder how easy it would be to turn those into soundproofed and treated rooms - while keeping the landlord happy? And how much rent would be normal?...

Unfortunately I'd have to be fairly central in London as that's where the clients and presenters/talent are. So I expect huge rents!

Back