Advice on Buying a vocal condenser Mic

The "failure to wedge" is a known fault with the C1000s but, if you do some Googling, you'll find there's a known modification you can do (involving a sledge hammer at the capsule end that really improves the wedgeability performance.

:laughings::laughings::laughings: I laughed so hard i managed to spit tea everywhere!

And Bobbsy, i couldn't agree more about sE mics. in terms of "Bang-for-buck" these are way up there on my list. In fact, i was keeping an eye on an old sE Mini on t'bay a week ago and at £25 with a day to go it seemed rude not to bid it up to £30. I was therefore very disappointed when it went for £77 and i missed out! We've now got 3 sE 1a's, 2 sE2200a, and a Titan at work (the Z3300a past away i'm afraid, although in an educational institution 7 years of everyday hard use is about 20 years in real term use imo! 14 - 18 year old's have a tendency to be slightly "heavy handed" at times...). I've got an sE2200a and an X1 at home that still get a lot of use, although strangely enough the last couple of mic's i've picked up have been intentionally coloured in sound as i wanted to add extra textures to my mic palette.

Strangely enough, i actually bought the sE2200a 11 years ago essentially blind. My student loan had just come through, i was in the process of recording my own stuff for uni, and my £40 samson C01 and borrowed Shure PG48 just wasn't cutting it for me anymore. The mics we had at uni had helped me pick out mainly what mic's i didn't like and what mics i simply couldn't afford. We only had two music shops in town; one big chain thing and one small local store who usually got my business as i knew a lot of the guys who worked there and was in what many would simply call a "left wing idealist teen rebellion" in which i despised big companies. The only LDC's the shop had were the Rode NT1a (which i didn't like from my use at uni) and one from this strange new company called sE. The mics were exactly the same price, there was no listening room, but as i really didn't want the NT1a and the shop guy pushed the sE pretty hard i went with it. 11 years later i have never regretted for a second buying the mic.

What made me laugh was when, a couple of years ago, i found out that the singer in our band had bought an sE2200a about a year after me purely based on my suggestion. That in itself isn't odd, friends often recommend gear to their mates, but at the time of my recommendation we had barely ever exchanged more than "hello's" and small talk. When i asked him "dude, we barely knew other at the time, why on earth would you listen to me!?!?" he simply replied "i'd heard your recordings in group tutorials and liked how the vocals and acoustic guitar sounded. When you'd said what the mic was i thought i'd give it a go myself". He's now owned his for 10 years and, apparently, has never regretted it for a second either.

BM700 mic review

Hi All
I bought 3 of these when they first came out-great for female vocals, gtr, drum overheads, perc and many other uses.
I have used them extensively for M and S and they give good clarity, and seperation when used with my M&S controler
Check them out-really cheap now!!

P

My modded Oktava Mk319 is the one I first try when I start a vocal take. It's great for many other purposes. Great for acoustic instruments and good room mic. Once I used it for a bass drum 1 m away from the head without hole. Boom, boom boom!

Back