Advice on a cheap microphone and mixer

Don't Bother...

Soundcard mic pres are notoriously BAD. Unless you opted for a big upgrade on the soundcard, most likely it is useless. You can try it, but you'll wish you didn't.:eek:

Queue

I just got a marshall condenser at sam Ash for $80.00! Real cool. That and the Behringer mixer for $99.00 will make a good start.

An update

I just thought I'd update you guys on my trials, tribulations, and purchasing decisions, in case you were curious:

After discussing the situation on this board and doing reading elsewhere, I decided to just go for a Shure SM57. I figured I might as well go cheap and reliable for my first mic, see how things work out, and then I can always move up to a better mic/better system later.

I also decided not to get a preamp yet, and to just give a shot to using my guitar amp's preamp, and then directing the preamp line out into my computer.

Well, I bought the mic, and unfortunately am having some problems. Hopefully caused by some obvious stupidity on my end. :) Plugging the mic directly into my sound card's mic in works - the volume is a bit low, but the mic does work. However, going from the preamp line out to the computer's audio in gives me nothing whatsoever.

I have not had time to figure this out so far, but my thoughts are:

1) Perhaps I need a different 1/4" -> 1/8" adaptor for going into the audio line in as opposed to the mic line in? To plug the mic into the computer mic in, I was going XLR -> 1/4" -> 1/8". The adaptor that goes from 1/4" -> 1/8" is a stereo->stereo adaptor - perhaps I need a mono->stereo adaptor for going from the pre-amp line out into the computer's audio line in?

2) There could be something bad in with my amp's preamp out. I've had problems with the connections on this amp before, it might just need some soldering.

3) When I plugged the microphone into my guitar amp, I could get sound to come out of the guitar amp from the mic input, but there was a LOT more noise than sound. This seems like a bad sign, but then again, I have no idea what I am doing. :)

4) My sound card's audio line in could be bad.

Anyway, that's my situation. Thanks to all who gave me advice, you were really very helpful, and I hope that I can return the favor some day!

Hi all,

This is my first post, I'm a total newbie to PC recording but would really like to give it a try. For starters, I would just be looking to do some stand alone bass or guitar tracks. As of now, I've not attempted any recordings yet.

Here's my equipment checklist:

1) PC: Self built, rock solid PIII 700, lots of ram, 2 fast hard drives

2) Soundcard: Aureal SQ2500, older full duplex card
Here's the specs >>> http://www.thetechzone.com/reviews/multimedia/aureal/sq2500/page2.htm

3) Recording software: N-track

4) Microphone: Cheap Labtech condenser, have no problem springing for a Shure SM-xx later on

5) Bass Amp - Carvin R1000, XLR balanced direct out with adjustable level control, pre/post switch, ground lift switch, massive EQ section, onboard compressor, and noise gate / Tech 21 Bass DI, effected XLR, effected 1/4", and unaffected 1/4" / Guitar Amp - Flextone II combo, std DI out and MIDI ports / Basses are too numerous to list here, guitar is an RG570

6) A mixer: I don't have a mixer. :( Is this an absolute must when just starting out? I want to lay down some stand alone tracks for now, at least until I get familiar with things. Later on, I have no problems springing for a reasonably priced mixer. I'm not looking to do professional grade stuff, just something passable for now. I am open to your suggestions on the mixer aspect.

7) Cables: Lots of 1/4" cables, guess I'll need a 1/8" adapter to use the soundcard I/O. Any other cables I should consider? would a 1/4 <> 1/8 cable be best? Also have the MIDI cable for the Flextone interface, I use it for editing sound patches and such.

8) Headphones: Sony V6

9) Monitor: Should I just use the cans for now?

I think that covers what I have going on for equipment right now. I realize I am deficient in the mic, soundcard, and mixer areas especially. Like I said, once I get more comfortable, I would be willing to spend a reasonable sum for better stuff. Right now, I'm just looking to get started and feel my way around the process.

Any suggestions regarding my current equipment and the best way to get started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Back