Advice on 2 Room studio design

VHrecording

Im building a studio almost from scratch (Concrete pad and ceiling done) and am looking for the best way to use my space.
The pad i am using is 12ft by 18ft.
I was thinking of making 2 rooms, a completly sound proofed room for recording in about 12ft by 10ft and a control room (normally insulated).

Unfortunatly the ceiling is only 6 and half ft high could this become a problem?
Also should i carpet all the walls? the walls only in the recording room or none at all?

Thx for the advice.

Yeah, WOW.. thats low.. normal door height is 6'-8".
Is this in your basement? (Because how can you have a floor & Ceiling, but no walls) :confused:

Especially with a low ceiling like that, I'd just make a single dual-purpose room out of it.

Bryan

Do NOT carpet the walls in either room. Its a firehazard, no one recommends it (not the carpet companies, and not the audio experts), and it doesn't do anything for your space.

If you want to isolate these rooms so that sound doesn't get out or in - you need to do some research on the construction methods before you work on these rooms. Also look into bass traps and friberglass panels.

If you want the rooms to sound good - you also need to do some reading into absorbers, diffusers and bass traps.

Good luck.

Im building a studio almost from scratch (Concrete pad and ceiling done) and am looking for the best way to use my space.
The pad i am using is 12ft by 18ft.
I was thinking of making 2 rooms, a completly sound proofed room for recording in about 12ft by 10ft and a control room (normally insulated).

Unfortunatly the ceiling is only 6 and half ft high could this become a problem?
Also should i carpet all the walls? the walls only in the recording room or none at all?

Thx for the advice.
It could become a problem if you want to isolate, 'cause you're probably gonna have to raise the floor and lower the ceiling(build a room within a room). But, if you're small, like me(5'6), then it shouldn't matter.

No you shouldn't carpet any walls.

You should probably make your control room the bigger room, and have a 12'x8'(probably more like 11'x7' with the walls) booth. Or, at least half the space each(12'x9, and 11'x8').

This is what I'd do:

Attachments

• vhrecording.GIF
    vhrecording.GIF
    10.3 KB · Views: 42
i might just raise the roof it can be done its just a major time consumer but im in no hurry.
Thx for the plan there pandamonk thats exactly what i needed.

It could become a problem if you want to isolate, 'cause you're probably gonna have to raise the floor and lower the ceiling(build a room within a room). But, if you're small, like me(5'6), then it shouldn't matter.

Except for the "sounding like ass" part. Low ceilings suck. Anything under 10' is a huge compromise in sound quality.

i might just raise the roof it can be done its just a major time consumer but im in no hurry.
Thx for the plan there pandamonk thats exactly what i needed.
There should be no flanking path, which means the ceiling, like the walls, shouldn't touch anything but the floating floor. Floating the floor can be achieved with neoprene pucks/sheet, and either building studs with the pucks, or laying the floor directly onto the neoprene sheet, I believe.

Where's Rick FitZ?!

Back