Advice needed regarding fee for use of my music for TV programs

Hi:
I have composed some instrumental songs over a period of time. One of my friends who used to be a high-level television executive in Ghana, West Africa, has put together some TV programs and has expressed interest in using parts of two of my songs as introduction and/or transition music for the programs. He is asking "how much?" to use the songs. I am totally green with such matters. Any advice on who to contact, or how to go about it, so that I do not over-charge him or under-charge him? Any help in this regard will be much appreciated. By the way I am also open to being represented by a "law firm" or an attorney who deals in this kind of business. Thanks.
Patrick

By the way I am also open to being represented by a "law firm" or an attorney who deals in this kind of business. Thanks.
Patrick

I would think the law firm would have a good handle on proper rates to charge for that area :)
IOW...major world TV distribution = higher rates....small, local TV station = lower.

I think in the end, it can be whatever you and the TV station consider fair...and you should always consider future biz...so maybe with this being your first time, you keep it real fair.

Hmmm...only guessing but I suspect what the lawyer would charge would be worth it if your friend was scoring the next Spielberg blockbuster but might be more than you can expect to earn from a local TV station in Ghana.

What's worth thinking about is that, as a starting point, there are two ways that music can be sold: with royalties (i.e. a payment for every extra use and programme sale) or a simple buyout. Not having seen many programmes from Ghana on Netflix, I might guess that a simple one off charge might be the way to go. How much? Time for some negotiations with your friend. As Miroslav says, you want to be fair and not charge so much that you don't get used again.

FYI, the other option for you friend is one of the numerous production music libraries out there. Some charge a basic annual subscription for as much music as the production company wants, other charge by the minute or second.

Amount aside, one thing I WOULD do is write a simple, plain-English contract specifying the amount, that his purchase is non-exclusive, and probably including some sort of extra payment if the programme happens to be sold in other markets. You don't necessarily need a lawyer for that.

There is a TV Sound producer as guest writer in the current issue (June 16) of Sound on Sound in the "Notes from the Deadline" column.

Just FYI?
Dave.

Back