Advice needed on designing a free standing studio

adamski

Designing a free standing studio, timber+plasterboard

Hi

We are planning to build 2 control rooms one above the other, in a warehouse unit using timber frame and plasterboard plus soundproofing and treatment materials.

total floor space is 3x4 metres, with an available height of about 4.5 m. We need to keep cost down as much as possible, as it may only be a temporary thing.

The outer frame will have some support from 2 girders and 2 walls as it will be in a corner of our unit.

We are thinking to float the floors on rubber u-boats under the 2x4 timbers, and have looked at resilient bars as part of the soundproofing system.

In terms of costs v soundproofing we need to consider whether double or single wall system is best, although floors will def be floated.

Has anyone got experience or advice for this kind of construction and of good materials to use.

Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hello adamski and welcome to the board. Let me address your questions one at a time. First, although there are many EXPERTS who visit here, I am NOT one myself. Only a somewhat enlightened member. My general advice is subject to THIER approval.
I see you are using the metric system. Where are you located, as materials may be an issue.

Quote:
We are planning to build 2 control rooms one above the other, in a warehouse unit using timber frame and plasterboard plus soundproofing and treatment materials.

Could you explain the purpose of 2 control rooms, one above the other? The reason is VERY SIMPLE. SOUNDPROOF does NOT exist. Only levels of SOUND TRANSMISSION LOSS. Even a 12" thick concrete shell can be totally negated by way of structural transmission if not constructed correctly. To isolate one control room from another that is above, is a lesson in reality. That is NOT to say it can not be done, only that it takes Structual Engineering and professional isolation design to do so. This is because there are only 2 things that impede the transmission of sound. MASS and Decoupling. Mass translates into WEIGHT. Weight translates into Structural Support. Structural support translates into dollars and code compliance by Permit Issuing Authority, as loss of life is a possibility should it fail. This is why I ask about the purpose of each control room and the adjacent spaces.

We need to keep cost down as much as possible, as it may only be a temporary thing.
The word TEMPORARY cannot describe construction as you envision it. It is impossible. Unless you have money to burn, which by your previous statement obviously is conflicting with reality.

The outer frame will have some support from 2 girders and 2 walls as it will be in a corner of our unit.
This illustrates the conflict with TEMPORARY. Besides, It would be ludacrous for members to offer approval or suggest structural integrety advice on a forum. That is the domain of professional structural engineers, and they are NOT cheap. Neither is the construction.
We are thinking to float the floors on rubber u-boats under the 2x4 timbers, and have looked at resilient bars as part of the soundproofing system.
You are getting ahead of yourself. You need to consult with an engineer before wasting your time. Also, if this is a commercial space, you have more to deal with than simply designing a studio. There are TONS of codes, that will determine many things from the outset, which if NOT in compliance, will also detour your plans upon submittal to BID. At least here in the USA, commercial building modification is subject to approval by local Building Inspection Authority, and if NOT approved, you run the risk of project lockup, if discovered, not to mention fines, additional fees, and downright rejection and waste of time and money.
In terms of costs v soundproofing we need to consider whether double or single wall system is best, although floors will def be floated.
Same reply.
Has anyone got experience or advice for this kind of construction and of good materials to use.
Yes, but it is useless to suggest anything at this point untill structural analysis is complete, and a study of local code compliance and intent feasibility are determined. A simple zoning ordinance could totally stop you in your tracks.
fitZ

Thanks for your reply and down to earth info.

We are located in London UK. Regarding permissions, we are not in a commercial unit, it is now residential, and we are on a very thick solid stone floor, our area is owned by one landlord who does not mind residents constructing within their leased unit.

We have also had a new idea of building a mezzanine floor along the south side of the unit, there is already an extended mezzanine along the west side which holds our bedrooms. This will also allow us to have a gap between the rooms to reduce vibrations from one room to the other, as well as spreading weight across a larger area, and leaving the floor space as it is now. The reason we want 2 rooms is that we are 2 producers and not into the idea of sharing a studio. We will be doing a minimum of recording so wont need a seperate space (would b nice tho).

We have a builder/carpenter with 30 yrs experience (including some soundproofing projects) ready to help us, we just need to make some plans and work out potential costs ...

Hello again. Even though you are in a residential unit, I would STILL suggest talking with your Building Inspection Department. I'm sure they still require a permit for this type of construction. I'm not familiar with UK laws, but I would bet even residential remodeling requires compliance with codes there. Especially if you are building something akin to a studio, as there is electrical, HVAC, egress, structural and other issues that usually require a permit and inspection, as peoples lives are ALWAYS at stake. ESPECIALLY if there are adjacent occupancys within the same building. Lots of people have died from failure to adhere to compliance laws. And DON"T underestimate the consequences of structural failure due to un-licenced guessing at support analysis as even a SMALL control room can add significant weight to the structure above. Point loads are nothing to fool with. I hate being a nay-sayer, but anytime someone is building things that are above another floor, I have to at least warn people, as homestudio owners are not always cognizant from the outset of the scope of their projects. Sometimes it evolves happenstance and is an accident just waiting to happen. Well, I've done my part. Good luck. BTW, making plans may be ok for preliminary cost estimation, but actual structural conditions may add signicant costs if required, and the only way you will know for sure, is to bite the bullet and employ the services of a qualified structural engineer. Remember, this is NOT your building and should ANYTHING happen, could void insurance coverage at the least. I'm sure your landlord would love that.
fitZ :)

Back