advice for how to hang/mount rigid fiberglass?

stayouttamalibu

ive seen a few suggestions in random threads on the board, but it would be cool if people could post ideas/suggestions here, so as to have one place to look to see the different ways people have done it. im looking for ideas all around, but a big question is how to go about hanging panels of 703 on the ceiling.

I've asked many times for "sticky" threads. To no avail :(
I guess the mods here don't want to mess with it.
Here is just one way. There are many. Use your imagination.
fitZ

Attachments

• ceiling absorber.gif
    ceiling absorber.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 187
Notbrad: What are you using to attach the fiberglass to the eye hooks? Are your fiberglass panels in a wooden frame? If so, what are you using to keep the fiberglass in the frame?

Rick: What material is represented by the dark blue lines at the bottom of your drawing? In other words, what's keeping the fiberglass from falling out of the frame?

Malibu: There was a thread very similar to this one just a week or so ago, but I can't find it now. In that thread, somebody suggested punching bolts (toggle bolts, I think) right through the fiberglass and then stringing up the bolts with picture hanging wire. But that was for a wall installation.

It seems to me that a combination of bolts through the fiberglass and eyehooks (or more toggle bolts) in the ceiling might be the way to go for a ceiling mount. I think I'd rather do that than assemble a heavy wooden frame around the fiberglass because I don't want that widowmaker hanging over my head. On the other hand, I don't really know if the fiberglass is "rigid" enough to support its own weight from four bolts. And I'm afraid I might have to use washers so big they'll be accousically counterproductive. I also don't know how to safely attach the bolts in the fiberglass to the bolts in the ceiling.

I sure hope this thread draws the attention of some resourceful engineering types.

i build a frame out of 2 by 2, then covered the front with fabric. This way, while hanging, the fabric is acting as a "hammoc" for the insulation. the fabric is stapled tight to the back of the frame.

Rick: What material is represented by the dark blue lines at the bottom of your drawing? In other words, what's keeping the fiberglass from falling out of the frame?
That would be fabric stretched over a light frame and stapled. Then drop that frame into another finish frame which in turn is lifted up and slipped over 2 cleats that have already been fastened to the ceiling. Sounds like a lot of work, but in reality, it is not. You just have to get in and do it. Comes out clean, professional looking, and will NOT fall! Actually, if made large enough, this could be considered a cloud over a mixing position. There are actually many ways to accomplish this. This was just to give you a direction. One note though. I didn't show the ceiling joists, and if your room is seriously built for isolation, I would locate the joists and fasten the cleats with screws to the joists, thereby eliminating leakage through the wing molly holes.

fitZ

Here is another.

2 cleats fastened to ceiling.
2 cleats fastened to 1/4" ply
strips of 1"x2" styrofoam or wood cleats to give airgap behind fiberglass
fabric stretched over fiberglass and stapled to ply on back
lift
fasten...........VOILA!
actually, this will provide more absorption than the other, as edges are exposed
fitZ

Attachments

• ceiling absorber2.gif
    ceiling absorber2.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 156
notbradsohner said:
This way, while hanging, the fabric is acting as a "hammoc" for the insulation.
RICK FITZPATRICK said:
That would be fabric stretched over a light frame and stapled.
Wow. I would'nt have thought that strectched fabric would have enough purchase to hold up a 2'x4' panel of rigid fiberglass. Maybe OC703 (which is what I think you guys are using) is lighter than what I've got. I'm using 2" thick Johns Manville 817 (6pcf). I haven't bothered to weigh it, but it's hefty and I'm leery about slinging it over my head across a layer of stapled fabric. Maybe I'll put some eye hooks inside the frame and make a web of twine or something to give it a little more support.

So nobody likes the idea of piercing the fiberglass with four bolts instead of surrounding it with a frame?

HapiCmpur said:
So nobody likes the idea of piercing the fiberglass with four bolts instead of surrounding it with a frame?

I did something similar with my panels. I don't have pics available, but I just sewed burlap bags (basically oversized burlap pillowcases) for my fiberglass and then put in some hammer in grommets for sewing. You can get them at wal mart, they work fine. I just put four of those at the four corners of one of my panels and used wood screws with washers. Works great, I used it as my first reflection panel on my ceiling. It doesn't really sag very much due to not having a frame, but even if it does sag a bit that only serves to enhance the lower end absorption because then you have an air space behind the panel.

Here's a diagram of what I have in mind. It seems like the most simple (and therefore elegant?) solution to the problem because it uses few materials, leaves air space between panel and ceiling, and doesn't reduce sound absorption by covering the edges of the fiberglass with a wood frame.

Can anyone think of a reason that I shouldn't do it this way? Does anyone know if rigid fiberglass (especially Johns Manville 817 at 2" thickness) is rigid enough for this? All observations, advice, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• ceiling mount.jpg
    ceiling mount.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 99
That would work, but the only downside is that you see the bolt head and big-ass washer.

You would probably want at least four hangers.

Let me whip up a more discreet solution.

Here is themore discreet idea. I would not use it on anything too heavy.

Before you cover the panel, tack glue some 3 inch squares of cardboard on what will be the bottom side.

Using a big ass needle thread some high test fishing line through the panels and attach to some eye hooks.

The only thing visible under the panels would be some short lengths of the fishing line.

Attachments

• hangingidea.GIF
    hangingidea.GIF
    2.7 KB · Views: 109
Innovations said:
Before you cover the panel, tack glue some 3 inch squares of cardboard on what will be the bottom side.
Using a big ass needle thread some high test fishing line through the panels and attach to some eye hooks.
Ah, yes, that IS discreet...and kind of elegant, too. And I take it that the cardboard is there just to keep the fishing line from tearing through the fiberglass?

And Rick, your latest drawing is making me think about using straps instead of line. That might be the easiest solution yet (though not as discreet). By the way, what software are you using to make those nifty drawings, and are those light blue boxes in your latest drawing just spacers?

Malibu: I think I've hijacked your thread, and I apologize.

Hello HapiCmpur. Well, I'm using Autocad 2002 for my graphics. Among other programs. I convert it to .gif with Jasco Paintshop Pro. The blue squares are any material you want them to be. Although, I was implying "styrofoam". Just hotglued to the 703. In this case I was kinda making fun of "kiss101", which my old boss loved to tell people. Means...."keep it simple stupid" and you know what 101 refers to. Kindergarten or, the "intro" class. :D As I showed, if you want it simple and don't give a damn what it looks like, hell just staple the fabric to the cieling :eek: :p
fitZ

HapiCmpur said:
Malibu: I think I've hijacked your thread, and I apologize.

dont be silly! this is exactly what i wanted, a lot of different ideas and discussion about this. thanks for asking a bunch of questions i would have asked :)

Back