Advice for hobbyist compiling a CD

Ah, but you released the Birthday Album. I happen to think it is excellent.

Oh yeah - but that was a zip file on my blog. 13 downloads, you included :-) I'm really psyched that you liked it and shared a lot of thoughts with me about it.

I thought you were asking about putting together something for bandcamp/maybe a small run of cds like some of the other guys here do. I wanna do that too at some point. I will, probably at the end of the year, I just gotta get out of my own way.

Yeah, I guess it's different. I am talking about an actual CD. Yours still counts though! I hope you release a CD at some point.

Now I'm confused again!

Grim is basically saying anything goes and just include whatever tracks I want regardless of vintage or production quality.

Chuck is saying, "I've heard your stuff, and you should stick with 5" :p

Armistice is saying 8 songs is fine, but they better all be awesome.
I should explain that because I love albums, I accept whatever the artist feels should be on the album. If you listen to the first 6 Black Sabbath Lps, there's quite a bit of varied stuff that they put on that was outside of their general ouvre {"Planet Caravan", "Fluff", "Solitude" "Embryo", "FX", "Changes", "Laguna sunrise", "Don't stop", "Supertzar" etc}. Actually, loads of artists included songs that were generally outside what their fans had come to demand.
I remember seeing Paul McCartney on telly once, talking about the White album. He said that George Martin thought that half the songs were shit and that they should whittle it down to one super awesome single album, get rid of stuff like "Revolution 9", "Wild honey pie" and the like. Initially on release, George Harrison wondered whether or not it should've been a double album as "30 songs were hard to digest in one sitting". But I liked McCartney's view on it ~ he said "Shurrup ! We're the Beatles. People can take it or leave it !". And that's what I say to you ~ you're "Pete the Heat !" and you have no control over how each individual listener will relate to it. You'd be amazed what each individual ends up liking and not liking, if indeed there is anything they don't like.
Going back to the White album for a moment, generally over the last 40 years, it's been held in higher regard than "Pepper" and many cite it's 'anything goes' diversity as one of it's strengths.
Armistice is saying 8 songs is fine, but they better all be awesome.
You know, over the last 19 years, I've never heard anyone praise the Pink Floyd songs "Take up thy stethoscope and walk" and "See saw". Quite the opposite in fact. I think the latter was voted in a poll as the worst Floyd song ever and the received wisdom is that it only made the second album because Syd Barrett was in such a bad way, the rest of the Floyd had to cobble together anything that they had around. The former is usually cited as the pathetic beginnings of Roger Waters as a writer, just to show how far he travelled to the stuff he was writing on "Dark side of the moon" and is also used to demonstrate how great Syd was in comparison.
Well, from that first day I heard them, back in the 70s, I loved both songs. I think they're uber awesome.
I'm evidently alone.
Do MEs ever offer objective advice on stuff like which songs to keep and which to ditch? Do they offer opinions on song order too?
If I was putting in something to be mastered, as far as I'm concerned, that would be it, that's the finished mix. I wouldn't be accepting any advice on whether there should be more kick or tone down the guitar or leave that track off, that's all been thought out in the mixing.
Don't tell me how to read "War and peace ! "
In that regard, the ME would be like someone polishing my car ~ it's not for them to tell me the angle the windows should be at or the best setting for the windscreen wipers. Just make the car shine !

Thanks again Grim. Of course you're right about it being up to me, but I guess I would be fine with including or excluding any number of songs and long for an objective, outside opinion. I know that I wish to release some kind of album, but don't feel all that strongly about which songs should be on it. That may be a bit strange...

Your historical comparisons are particularly interesting. I would only add that these somewhat oddball tracks you mention appeared on later albums. Not that my "debut release" would be a big event or anything, but you only get one chance to make a first impression (damn cliche!). Know what I mean?

Ironically, while I am a huge fan of both Sabbath (have all their albums) and the fab four, I really don't like any of those Sabbath tunes you mentioned, and I don't really care for the White Album either. Sorry.

As for Floyd, I did always like "Bike" and often wondered how the hell that track made it onto a record. Certainly not something they released because they were convinced people would dig it.

"you have no control over how each individual listener will relate" - that struck me right there. Kind of obvious I guess, but something I should keep in mind. Thanks.

I've quite a few vinyl double albums but only a few a magic from go to woah. That said when I talk about these albums with folk we generally agree on the core killer material but have differing views on what is filler. One man's Down By The Seaside is another man's In Through The Out Door really.
I've had some stuff mastered in the last year. Funnily enough tracks from 3 different projects and one of those over two distinct stylistic periods.
One project seemed to come to a natural conclusion after 3 tracks but they're pretty good and might constitute an EP in the old sense - but almost 15 minutes reads more like a single in the modern parlance.
Another project is, at this stage of mastering, just 3 tracks until such time as I can work on the mixes for another couple & then the vault is exhausted.
And then there's the 2 period project for which I have about 53 minutes mastered. I have one more track that has potential to be mastered (if I can get the vocalsist to rerecord his parts).
The tracks for these projects range from mainly recorded on 4 track cassette (& slightly augmented in a daw) to fully digital. From vocals recorded through a built in soundcard & then converted to MP3 to be emailed into the project to tracks recorded by 4 individuals in 4 different digital home studios & uploaded as 24 bit wav to be downloaded & imported. From begun in 1986 to finished March 2012. One project has all of the above.
All tracks were mastered by the same ME and each project bundle, when played as a bundle has significant sonic cohesion - even the 2 period project. The ME can & does leave a stamp.
There's probably a greater degree of cohension in that the vast majority were stem mastered & I chose that option because of the range of recording formats/procedures/styles.
I did actively seek suggestions and comments from the M.E. ranging from "...is this sonically up to being mastered?" to subtle mix adjustments and of course discussion regarding revision of a master was important too.
I want to do a CD for at least 2 of the projects. One an album of almost 60 mins (I'd prefer to be old fashioned and do 45 minutes as that's how I loved 'em in the old old days but I have to consider the VFM aspect as well as "artistic" aesthetics), and the other a 3 track EP ,(almost 4 but the last track stalled). On the other hand I'm pretty satisfied that the stuff that I've had mastered is pretty much the pick of the crop due to ME & other feedback.
I even have the sequencing, art work, lyric sheet, credits etc. done, negotiated & sorted for the "album" but as it's a collaborative project I'll have to wait on my songwriting/recording partner to decide what he wants to do.
The EP cover & stuff haven't been done yet as I always hope for "just one more" but a project between 4 different people, 3 of whom has self released at least 1 excellent disc of material & each of whom have their own lives, projects and solo stuff to do, is all about timing and patience.
Given all of the above - vanity project? Definitely! I hoped that the mastering would bring a sense of conclusion/completion. It did for a while but having had them mastered begged the question.
I wanna, wanna, wanna do what Heat is talking about for the very same reasons.
Final thought in terms of length.:
I have the Joy Division albums on vinyl. I resisted buying the CDs when they came out knowing that the definitive collection would arrive - it did "Heart & Soul" is brilliant in its scope & depth BUT I REALLY wish I had the CD albums as they were sequenced and mastered (well as close to THAT sound as possible rather than what has in many cases become reblastering), for vinyl. When I want to listen to a JD I want the album not the album surrounded by other, albeit excellent, stuff. The albums, generally, were track selected & sequqnced for reasons - some pathetically inconsequential - but I love the way they are. I also used to listen to fade outs from all sorts of band's tracks in the hope of hearing a cruelly edited brilliant line or similar but have since learnt that those are few a far between.

Last edited:
Ironically, while I am a huge fan of both Sabbath (have all their albums) and the fab four, I really don't like any of those Sabbath tunes you mentioned, and I don't really care for the White Album either.
I recently read Tony Iommi's autobiography {he uses the word 'bloody' more than it's possible to do so ! } and it was interesting catching his raison d'etre for some of the oddball tracks. I quite like them. The acoustic guitar ones are mercifully short {like 25 seconds short}, the others are so~so except "Laguna Sunrise" which I really like. I absolutely detest "FX". It's the kind of nonsense that acid trippers inflicted on the rest of humanity, thinking it sounded awesome on their trips !
I like everything on the White album except "Revolution 9". I tried for 20 years to like that piece and then I finally admitted defeat. It's awful.
As for Floyd, I did always like "Bike" and often wondered how the hell that track made it onto a record. Certainly not something they released because they were convinced people would dig it.
When Floyd's debut was done {at the same time and studios that Sergeant Pepper and some of SF Sorrow were being recorded}, EMI were cottoning on to the emerging psychedelic scene and were pretty progressive in that sense. They recognized {or at least, Norman Smith did} that popular music was travelling in a series of different and exciting directions and were, thanks to songs like "Strawberry Fields forever", "Penny Lane" and "Tomorrow never knows", quite relaxed in what they were allowing some of the newer groups to put on albums as long as they gave them "Arnold Lane" and "See Emily play" type hits. "Bike" was one of those off the wall songs and demonstrated Floyd's range, especially when you took into account "Interstellar overdrive", "Matilda mother", "Pow.r.toch", "The scarecrow", "The gnome" and the aforementioned "Stethoscope".
Those were the times and artists were putting stuff on albums {even debut albums} that they wanted on. I think of even a track like "Moonchild" from King Crimson's first album where a relatively normal song descends into an improvised noisefest, which demonstrates that the artist was leaving the listener with the responsibility to glean the impression.
Mind you, it changed soon after as the labels got back to being a little more, um, 'directive'.

That said when I talk about these albums with folk we generally agree on the core killer material but have differing views on what is filler. One man's Down By The Seaside is another man's In Through The Out Door really.
I loved "Down by the seaside" the first time I heard it. "Night flight" too. Years later, I discovered that they were both recorded during the sessions for what we call "Led Zeppelin 4" {though it had no title} but left off the album {"Boogie with Stu" too}. For 1971, I feel they were both ahead of their time.

But all of that was just filler :D.
What I really meant to share was an interesting comment from the producer Ken Scott about mastering.
One's start in cutting was always the same. You're suddenly in control with no one looking over your shoulder, so on the first tape that comes in it's always the same mind game, "I think this needs a little more high-end," and then you turn the treble at 10 kHz up full blast. "Oh, that's better, but now it's lacking a little low-end," so you pile on the bass. "Oh, it's almost there. It just needs some mids," and you pile on all of the mid-frequencies. It takes three or four days until you realise that what you got from the studio sounded pretty good already, and all it needed was maybe one notch at 10 kHz and it was perfect. No one stood there and said, "You don't need that much. You only need one notch," you'd teach yourself that. You realised that after you've piled on all of this EQ, you made it sound like shit, so it quickly began to dawn on you that less was actually more.

To this day, that's what I think a mastering engineer is supposed to do: stay as close as possible to what he's been given. You don't put it through a chain of compressors or use stems to alter the balance or change the sound in any other way. The engineer and the producer have a vision, they know what they want, and it's up to the cutter (the mastering engineer) to stay as close to what they provided as possible.
I don't know how true that is because to me, mastering is still something of a mystical art {that is, I barely know what it is ! } but it struck me as I'm reading his autobiography and I've been thinking about this thread as I've found it fascinating.

Grim, I dig all those songs too. The sessions that some stuff come from are amazing. The track Houses of the Holy always concerned me as out of place until I read about it. I liked it though. Down by the seaside is GREAT - Do you still do the twist?

Some go twisting every day.....

Grim, I dig all those songs too. The sessions that some stuff come from are amazing. The track Houses of the Holy always concerned me as out of place until I read about it. I liked it though. Down by the seaside is GREAT - Do you still do the twist?
It was years later that I read that there were only about 9 or 10 songs recorded for "Physical Graffiti". The rest were songs recorded for '3', '4' and HOH that never made it onto those albums. It's part of the great stories of rock history that a band could leave the title track of an album off the album and put it on the next one ! The song "Houses of the holy" with it's odd timed beginning is one that gets my head shaking and both feet stomping. A classic. The album of the same name is one of my favourites.
I once wrote a record review of "Graffiti" in which I described it as "CODA before there was CODA".

As an adjunct, I just remembered that Robert Plant said that while he always dug "Down by the seaside", the rest of the band hated it and thought it was a joke and didn't want it on '4' so he tried to get it onto "Houses of the holy" but they weren't having any of it. It finally saw the light of day on "Graffiti" because they decided to include some of the ones that hadn't made it onto previous LPs. And even then "Seaside" was seen by the others as a bit of a joke.
The artist is not necessarilly the best judge of their work !

Last edited:
The acoustic guitar ones are mercifully short {like 25 seconds short}, the others are so~so except "Laguna Sunrise" which I really like. I absolutely detest "FX".

Agreed. I guess I do kind of like Laguna Sunrise and FX is just a waste. Changes makes my skin crawl. Except the mellotron or whatever that is there...

I loved "Down by the seaside" the first time I heard it.

Always liked that one too...

Exactly!..and that is precisely why I would welcome an outside opinion from an M.E. on what to include, etc...

Exactly !..and that is precisely why I would welcome an outside opinion from an M.E. on what to include, etc...
I meant it more from the point of view of what ends up being liked. "The artist is not necessarilly the best judge of their work" is more of a retrospective "wise after the event" kind of statement. Many a time, the artist has been shocked at what was regarded as brilliant because they themselves didn't. The Beatles regarded "All my loving" as a 'work' song, nothing special. But it's endured for almost half a century as one of their early and most loved classics. Steve Marriott sang "Lazy sunday" in a exaggeratedly cockney way because he didn't like it and thought it was rubbish and was dead set against it being a single because he wanted the Small faces to be taken seriously as a heavy, deep serious drug band {maybe he had the drug band blues :facepalm:}. But the public loved it and it was a huge hit. The Stones weren't fans of "Start me up" because it started out as a reggae piece and they tried so many versions over the years before the one we know. But people loved it. Same with "Satisfaction", Keith didn't think it should be releasd as a single. Thin Lizzy nearly died when their record company put out "Whiskey in the jar". It was at best a warm up song, one they all hated because it was so trad and Irish and they wanted nothing to do with it. But their manager got them to record it anyway then the record company released it and people loved it !
People may be strange but we know a loved song when we hear one ! Even if the maker of the song can't see it.

Back