advice for a newbie please

hd1903

i have no clue what i need to record, could someone just tell me what i need to record a good demo for a rock band, and have the drums on seperate tracks also.

i was thinking cool edit pro(easy and i meet the min requirments and have it already) and the audigy 2 platinum. but do i need a mixer, are any other programs NEEDED. could i use a pa head for a mixer if needed. i can't spend much so any ideas that keep from me buying something to start off is cool.

i have a kmd 500mghz , 256 ram and cd burner and don't know what connections i'll need on my pc if any. will i be ok with min requirments with cards and recording programs generaly?

if someone could just list what i need and briefly what it does/hooks to, in order, just so i know where i'm going. i don't want all kinds of programs and stuff if i don't need it, hopefully just one like the cool edit pro that i have. just a good simple setup for now

thanks alot
derek

Cool Edit will work as a descent multi-tracker.
If you intend to use multiple mics for drums you will need a mixer to tie em all together as well as the other intruments if you intend to record live. And depending on the mics you use the mixer will provide preamps as well.
The Audigy card will work fine as well although it is not really designed for recording on a semi-pro level. But since your budget is tight it will do. A patch cable is all you need to tie the output of a mixer to the card interface. Check ebay for a used 8 track 12 or 16 for a affordable price. Perhaps a Tascam or Mackie.

I wouldn't rule out an inexpensive digital mulitrack. This will solve your preamp and mixer problems and save you a lot of headache trying to put together a PC based recording system. Not to mention you will have dedicated track fader and shuttle controls. You can pick up an AKAI DPS12 or a Roland VS-880 for under $400 on ebay!! There are many companies offering brand new digital 8-tracks for around $500. Then all you will need is a few decent mics.

Yo HD:

It might help you if you can VIEW someone's home studio?

Next to that, start reading and looking at photos of home set-ups and see which way you'd like to go.

You might just want to start with a simple 4 track tape unit and push some buttons until you get some operational savvy.

Lots of help available here too.

Cheers,
Green Hornet:D :cool:

Back