Advice for a couple gigs?

.Tyson Studios.

I LOST THE GAME
Me and my band are planning on playing somewhere late april and I just want to know what advice you guys could give me. Just bought a cheap drumset to bring so i dont scratch up my nice one. I am still gonna bring my good hardware, snare, and cymbals. Was this a good Idea? And advice please! :D

Yup ... as long as you have good heads on them and they are tuned!

You should practice with the guys using that set so you and them fell comfortable.

I think it's a fine idea, for just the reasons you gave. Hell, I think you might want to leave the good snare and metal at home, too. Few of us have everything it takes (gear, venue sound quality...) to make our best sounds when playing live, so most gigs become a "good enough is best" kinda thing.

I totally disagree with these guys. If you're playing live in an attempt to gain a fanbase and portray yourself in the best light possible, use your best shit. Don't go up there with crap. Would you use a guitar with old rusty strings? Or an amp with a bad tube? Don't waste your time and anyone elses by halfassing it.

If you're worried about scratching something, buy quality cases. Don't throw your cymbals and drums in the trunk and bang em around on the way to the gig. If you can't afford to buy cases or gig bags, and don't care about putting on the best show you can, then you're not ready to gig yet.

Either way you still have to paint which ever set you take out florescent orange. :D

You know your right Greg there are many time in a live situation where I just can seem to get a good kick sound out of the kick or the snare just doesn't have it and other times the drums are like the harps of angles.
Those that are the great sounding drums of course are the best top of the line ones.

It sure makes a difference in the end sound of the total band -- kinda makes or breaks a band live.

Or you could have a $50. sears drum set and put triggers on them! .... but that is what it would sound like, if you like that.

Coming from my own experience, and/or close observation...

If you are gonna worry about your perceived image, install a reso head on your kick that says "TAMA," "DW," or whatever make of drums you think your audience will respond positively to. No one in the audience member will have any idea your whole kit is not that brand, with the POSSIBLE exception of a drummer in the audience who is so OCD he can identify "his" brand by things like the shape of the lugs (well, one other exception- see below.) He may say something to you about it, to which you might reply "Yeah, but I just don't want to sacrifice my (name brand) kit to the road." if he's a good guy, he will chuckle and agree; if he's a jerk, forget about him. If you are playing jazz, in a small combo and in venues- basically, a situation where people will actually listen to the music, the audience may appreciate the different sound a quality kit will give you, but most other situations- cover band playing in bars, metal/punk/rockabilly bands playing most anywhere, etc. the audience members will either not care, or not notice. They are there to have a good time, not split hairs over the band's tone. Don't get me wrong- I am not a jazz snob, nor do I dislike most other genre's, but I know this to be true, because I have seen it so many times in so many different situations.

Yes, i would agree that the "the great sounding drums of course are the best, top of the line ones," but is your good set "top of the line?" If it is, I can certainly understand your concern for them; if it is somewhere in the middle, the difference in sound won't be that pronounced. I am sure you will, or have, played your beater kit, and are satisified with it's sounds, right? Well, there you go.

You know what the live situations you will be in, and we don't, but I also trust that you would not have even considered the idea if you knew it would be inappropriate. Hell, you already bought the beater kit- at the very least, try it out at a gig, see what happens. Before you go on tour, do a free (or reduced-cost) gig at a friend's club, house or whatever, and ask some of the people there what they think of your kit and playing. (Pro bands do this sort of thing, and at the least, often do a "performance," with or maybe without audience, in a controlled environment, to work out any kinks before they hit the road.) Oh, sure, you might be more inspired to turn in your best performance on your best kit, but from your post, I suspect that you would be more worried about something happening to it, which may make you so nervous (on top of you perhaps already having a bit o' stage freight) that you fixate on your gear's well-being and your drumming suffers for it.

Heck, some rep from a drum company might see you making wonderful sounds from a cheap kit, and say "Kid, you are a great drummer, but you'd sound even better with better gear. Let's talk endorsement..."

Hey, it could happen!:D

And besides, do you really want to paint your good kit florescent orange??:eek:

florecent orange..... the funny thing was..... I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!!! that or lime green :P anyways I was also thinking about putting a pearl or yamaha bass head on it for kicks. im gonna replace the heads, and tune em right. anyone have any advice about what to do when I get there?

Mebbe this'll work

36e2d21f36a921a2ab5c6564eaf4-medium.jpg

florecent orange..... the funny thing was..... I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!!! that or lime green :P anyways I was also thinking about putting a pearl or yamaha bass head on it for kicks. im gonna replace the heads, and tune em right. anyone have any advice about what to do when I get there?

Where?, What?

... anyone have any advice about what to do when I get there?

Play your drums.

Seriously. Don't get all tangled up in merchandising your "look." Work on setting up your kit to your best advantage, double check everything, make sure the heads are tuned and focus on playing well. You're the backbone of the band. So stay focused. Leave the beers and tokes for afterward. Bring a couple of bottles of water and drink them during the evening.

Hello.

Whenever I play live I always take sticks, cymbals and bass drum pedal. If I can, I take my snare drum. If you can transport your kit to the gig, it's generally a good idea; however, in my experience another band might supply the kit and it's sometimes very good! The less stuff you take to a gig the less you have to take home. If I have my basics (sticks, cymbals, pedal) I can go straight to pub after gig with them.
Another thing you may wish to take with you is a spare T-shirt!

Hello.

Whenever I play live I always take sticks, cymbals and bass drum pedal. If I can, I take my snare drum. If you can transport your kit to the gig, it's generally a good idea; however, in my experience another band might supply the kit and it's sometimes very good! The less stuff you take to a gig the less you have to take home. If I have my basics (sticks, cymbals, pedal) I can go straight to pub after gig with them.
Another thing you may wish to take with you is a spare T-shirt!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :laughings: Yes and four cans of AXE deodorant!!!! :laughings: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Back