Advance Control Lock-up on Sound Blaster Platinum

radiogold

SOUND BLASTER LIVE PLATINUM
Base/Treble control lock-up on SPDIF in Advance Controls

I recently bought a Sound Blaster Live Platinum to transfer my vinyl records to CD. When I recorded a few records on to my hard drive, they sounded hollow. When Playing around with the controls, I discovered that the base and treble sliders were both set to min in the advance controls window of SPDIF. When trying to move them, they were both locked to min.

Screen shots of this problem are located at:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~boerebach/sbhelp

I’ve tried getting tech support from both the Creative Australian and American help desk, but they has been no response. Either by phone or email.

My computer set up is a Packard Bell 433mhz Celeron. It has 64meg ram and runs windows 98. A sony internal S145 Scsi burner is installed with a Scsi controller from Adaptec.

Does anybody know how to unlock them? I want to set them to the middle.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mark Boerebach
boerebach@ozemail.com.au

I think if you have the Live 'value' card, instead of the full blown platinum with the extra inputs, that you dont have access to the eq section of the digital stream, I dont know which version you have. Actually the fact that the digital signal even had an eq on it really pissed me off.

Hi

After looking at the screen shot- I have to ask, Have you tried the surround mixer? and do you have the proper drivers installed? It looks like the drivers are there because of the number of devices on your mixer but I don't know if your operating system recognizes all of the devices or not (my windows 98se doesn't untill I install liveware)

the only thing that comes to mind other than that is maybe the sliders are disabled intentionally for a true digital signal, How's the volume level on your input? if the eq is enabled you should be getting noticably low volume on the output. if it's disabled you should be getting normal, or maybe even louder than normal output

btw, this is just a thought, not fact, I dont think those sliders effect your recording, just the playback,

ok I just checked the meters with the spectrum meter in surround mixer with my digital cable box in SPDIF, moved the sliders all the way down and there was no effect on the input signal, so they must be in the output stream only.

don't know if I helped any, but, I'd try reinstalling the drivers and check for any updated drivers at www.americas.creative.com assuming your drivers are the same as americas.
There are updates for my version of liveware, again I don't know which version you have.

good luck
TX

radiogold, did you ever get rid of the hum, what was the problem?

You say when you recorded a few records on to your hard drive, they sounded 'hollow', if it isn't the eq section you could try checking your cables, a 'hollow' sound could be a sign that one of your channels is out of phase - the cables hot and ground wires are reversed.

Thanx for your help!!

Vox, Triple-x and OneArtist,

Thanx for your replies. Both of you have given me some great suggestions to follow up. Last Sunday my sack of ideas was pretty empty. As the card has a number of problems, I'll have to work on each fault individually.

At the moment i'm working on the hummm. I've noticed that the SB has optic connection too. So i'm looking at some digital phono preamps or amplifiers to resolve this issue.

As mentioned. The base and treble might be set to min for a true digital sound. Although this still throws me. I always understood that a standard sound signal comes from a component that has it's sliders set to the exact middle.

This problem came right out of the blue. I've never heard of other people having this problem until I had it myself. Hopefully this chain of thoughts will help others who may have this hell of a humm. This problem is nowhere to be found in manufacturers trouble-shooting charts.

Thanx again - I'll post the out-come soon.

Last edited:
Back