Adlibs eq? How to an how much reverb/delay

midwesttribune

i'm into da rap genre an i was told to Eq at 80-100 hz at my lowshelf eq for my main vocal, an i also messed with the gain so you could notice the eq slightly more. an i was wanderin if you eq the adlibs as well, does that help it blend more? an also i have protools an was wonderin how to do a slight reverb/delay which artists do, which usually isn't noticable. thanks a lot guys

i'm into da rap genre an i was told to Eq at 80-100 hz at my lowshelf eq for my main vocal, an i also messed with the gain so you could notice the eq slightly more. an i was wanderin if you eq the adlibs as well, does that help it blend more? an also i have protools an was wonderin how to do a slight reverb/delay which artists do, which usually isn't noticable. thanks a lot guys
You EQ what you need to at the frequencies you need to. Not the frequencies that someone "told you" (unless that "someone" was actually in the room with you and said "You should shelf *THAT TRACK* at 80 or 100Hz -- as the next track might require a completely different shelf, none at all, a narrow OR wide Q filter, or any of whatever else you might want to do). You use whatever verb or delay you feel is necessary to serve the mix.

Experimentation is a key thing to figuring out what your tools are capable of. But when it comes down to it, you need to be able to hear - for yourself - what needs to be done. If you can't develop your critical listening skills (which are truly critical), nothing else is really going to help.

honestly there is no standard for what your are asking,

for ad-libs, i'd say whateva works for making them lower than the main vocals but still audible is fine, usually i do nothing more than slight EQ'ing to make them about -2 to -4dB's than my main vocals pending the instruments used in the track since i usually get em MP3'd to me, but occassionally i'll get a nice Wav to work from....

the reverb thing is tricky, it depends on how punchy or how solid you the vocals to sound.....

Back