ADL600 input impedence issue

Mr. Moon

Force of Naked
Hi folks,

I just want to make you aware of an issue with the ADL600 which was described in a review (by Paul J. Stamler) published in the October issue of Recording magazine.

Here's a quote from the article detailing the problem:

"The other anomaly I measured was the input impedances. These are marked on the selector switch as 1500, 900, 300 and 150 ohms, but when I measured them, what I found was quite different (see Below). The range of impedances available from the ADL 600 is considerably less than stated, and an input impedance >1 k (as recommended by most makers of condenser microphones) is only available with the 20 dB pad switched in. (Of course, condenser mics are hotter, so using the pad would probably be a reasonable choice.)

Impedence:
Listed-Measured-Measured(20dBPad)
1500-----785-----1256
900------526-----696
300------453-----560
150------177-----270

PreSonus confirmed my results; the discrepancy is due to a jumper resistor that was used in tests and was left on the first production run of these preamps, which can be easily removed if the user desires impedance settings that match the front panel specs. Concerned users should contact PreSonus about how to do this; my feeling is that the effect will be audible but small..."

I own an ADL600, so I contacted Presonus about this issue via an email to their technical support staff, and Presonus stood behind their product 100% and satisfactorily resolved this issue on my unit.

The difference to me between the before/after fix, was more dramatic than suggested in the review. I noticed that it REALLY opened up my Gefell 930 when recording an acoustic guitar; much larger and lusher image, to my ears anyways.

Hope this helps!

Back