ADK S-PRO "Hamburg" edition

randyfromde

Anyone here have any experience with this mic? I used the search function, ADK only came up sporadically...

I picked one up tonight on sale for $300, based on a salesman's recommendation. I've only gotten to use it about 2 hours now, so I haven't been able to form a concrete opinion. Luckily, it's a small shop, so I have 1 week to demo it. Once that damn wind stop howling outside, I'll be good to go.

So far, I've found that I need to be careful that the low cut switch isn't on....that makes my voice sound dreadful! Once I figured that out, the sound was much more pleasing, but seemed to accentuate my voice too much in the mid-range.

On my Gibson J-45RW pointed at the 12th fret, it's giving a pretty full sound. Nice tight bass when I do my acoustic "slappy" stuff, much better than the MXLV67 when I tried that.

Overall, it seems like a decently built mic. I'm not so sure it's right for my voice, so I think I am gonna take the store up on their offer to audition more mics at home. The store owner suggested a Rode NT1000 in my price range (~$300), so that's probably next.

I'd say they're pretty good. I was thinking about buying a type V and it sounded fine, but in the end decided to blindly order some more M179s. My friend uses ADKs, including a pair of...TCs? TLs? Honestly can't remember, but he does mostly classical recording. Personally, I wasn't even thinking of the Hamburg/Vienna editions, since I've never seen a street price on them. It was only when talking to Larry yesterday at NAMM that he mentioned they should street around 300. You know the drill: the Hamburg is supposed to be the U67 while the Vienna is the C12. I'm probably going to hit West LA Music next week and see if they can't get me one to try out...

ADK does Chinese mics, but they also do a lot of assembly and tuning here. Good QC, from what I understand (though not good enough for Fletcher from Mercenary Audio to sell their lineup a while back...)

The Generis mics don't go through the same QC process. If I heard Larry right at NAMM, they're basically heard for functionality and that's it. It could be way off the curve and still go through.

I've got the Vienna & I think it's a great mic for the money - but yeah, you're right about the low-cut switch. I like to record pretty close up & it's way too boomy unless you use the pad.
I think it has a little more top-end sparkle too, than the Hamburg - so maybe you should audition it.

Yeah, I gotta do something. On several occasions this week, on different projects, I've preferred my MXL V67 to the Hamburg. It's just too upfront for me. Perhaps even too accurate. My voice sounds like sandpaper (which is the truth), but the MXL smooths it out at least some.

Back