ADK brand of mics

ItzCashew

I've found them in abundance on ebay and i was just wondering if they are good or up to par with any of the other mic companies. I've never heard of them till now honestly.

ItzCashew said:
I've found them in abundance on ebay and i was just wondering if they are good or up to par with any of the other mic companies. I've never heard of them till now honestly.

I love mine personally. I put my Hamburg up against a U87 in a blind test at school had my teacher walk in and pick which one he thought sounded best. Well my mic won and my teacher ran out and bought 3 of them.

Nuff said.

...when David Royer (of Royer Ribbon Mic fame) started to produce a pre-assembled version of his now well-acclaimed Mojave MA200 LDC Tube Mic (originally sold in a kit form) he went to Larry V. at ADK for his mic bodies and capsules...says something about the quality of ADK products...I have one of those original prototypes using a Hamburg/Vienna body and a special 5 micron capsule and it rocks!... ;)

ADK has been around for some time. They make several grades of mics, from low cost budget mics to expensive, knocking on the doors of the big boys, mics.

In addition, ADK tends to tweak their designs incrementally as time passes. So there's a bit of confusion with all the various versions of, for example, the A-51 mic (there are probably 20 versions with the designation "A-51").

I can't speak for the budget Generis line, or for many of the less expensive "ADK" branded mics. The Audiophile Series of mics are quite nice, with attendant higher prices. I've tried all of the Audiophile Series, have owned the ADK A-48 and currently own a pair of ADK CE. The CE mics are wonderful, as are the TT and TC. The TL is a poor man's AKG 414. The Vienna and Hamburg are very good too, and inexpensive. ADK is about to release updated versions of the Vienna and Hamburg.

I just got my ADK A-51 type V today. I've used this mic plenty of times at a friends house and it's awesome! ADK is a great company with great mics. I'd like to try a hamburg or vienna one day. I'm too broke to touch that A-48!! All i need now is a great preamp to upgrade from behringer, which will be the dmp3.

ya know, if ya can't say something nice.......you're probably Chessrock. I like my Hamburg okay, not my fav but it gets a walk outside every once in a while on a drab vocal or backup.

I actually think they're awesome. In a sucky sort of way.

Just kidding. I've never actually used an ADK. Well, at least not one that has an ADK logo on it. I have used all the other Chinese mics with different names on them, so I suppose you could almost say I've used an ADK.

The Hamburg sounds different from the Vienna.
I've heard them both on male and female
vocals and thought the Hamburg
was better on both.

Well i have an ADK Vienna and it just don't work on my voice, its got no body to the sound, its going through a JLM preamp. I've tried everything with it, close up far away, upside down left right.......worse purchase i ever made. My Beyer TGX 580 blows it off the planet.
Could be good for a male vocalist with a full powerfull voice?
Vikki(uk)

I may let it go but i wanted to give it a try on acoustic guitar, if its ok on that i just keep it for what it cost.
Vikki(uk)

Vikki said:
Well i have an ADK Vienna and it just don't work on my voice, its got no body to the sound, its going through a JLM preamp. I've tried everything with it, close up far away, upside down left right.......worse purchase i ever made. My Beyer TGX 580 blows it off the planet.
Vikki(uk)

Yeah. Matching mics to particular voices is very subjective and anecdotal. No doubt there's another signer out there that loves the Vienna (on their voice) but thinks the TGX 580 sucks.

Vikki said:
Vikki(uk)

I'm a fairly strong tenor and have basically the same opinion about the Vienna. I'm going to try it with a different preamp to see if it's just a gross impedance mismatch with the Brick or something, but I'm thus far completely unimpressed by it.

Oddly enough, it sounds great in my headphones, but as soon as I listen to it on real speakers, it develops a very harsh, brittle, hollow tone, with certain frequencies severely overemphasized (not just the presence boost). Maybe I'm just not used to the sound, but....

Part of the problem, I think, is that the Hamburg has a bad body ring to it. tap it with your fingernail and you'll see what I mean. I have a feeling that if I stuff some foam in there in the right places, the mic will be an okay mic.

Back