adding pre-amp to m-audio profire 2626

jake the snake

I recently picked up the profire 2626, which is working well for me. Even though the pre-amps are decent, I wanted to try the Golden age pre-73. I will be recording male hip hop vocals using a rode nt1a.

Is the pre-73 an upgrade to the 2626's pres?

Do I just connect the pre-73 into the 2626 and go with it, or does the 2626 preamp need to be disabled in any way?

I have a Profire 2626 and have also been curious about this. To my knowledge, there is no way to disable the built in pre's and because of this, you would not be able to take your mic signal into an outboard pre, then take that line level signal into another pre (the profire 2626) without possibly damaging your equiptment, or distorting your signal at the least. However, I am not sure on this.

I was going to be calling Sweetwater and contacting M-Audio support to see if they had any specific answers on this, I will update the forum with what I hear.

I was just playing with a VC3 and ISA One...

here's a small clip. 122>VC3>ISA One

the ISA One did what Tweakz said would happen, it started showing the weaknesses in my room. I love the unit's ergonomics, and it has a compressor tone when pushed.
so much gain it was really nice. there's also the DI separate input/output so its a bang for the buck.

its funny you posted, because I was just getting ready to take it back and go try a 2626, after reading some pro post these beautiful tracks done in a Nashville studio, with a mic into a 2626/Firestudio rack type system and some software gear....

i havent messed much with my hr, i thought I could do a little upgrade and somehow it turned into some gear fever crap...i know all too well.

the ISA One is really built, probably the best pre I've ever test drove.....just not sure if thats the direction I'm going, and I was trying to upgrade cheaper too...the VC3 is pretty nice for $125 imo.

Attachments

• 122 vc3 ISA 1.mp3
    740.5 KB · Views: 12
I have a Profire 2626 and have also been curious about this. To my knowledge, there is no way to disable the built in pre's and because of this, you would not be able to take your mic signal into an outboard pre, then take that line level signal into another pre (the profire 2626) without possibly damaging your equiptment, or distorting your signal at the least. However, I am not sure on this.

I was going to be calling Sweetwater and contacting M-Audio support to see if they had any specific answers on this, I will update the forum with what I hear.

I thought I covered all the bases before I bought the 2626. If it turns out theres no way to connect outboard pre's to it, thats really gonna suck

The line level 1/4 inch inputs on the profires (610 or 2626) bypass the onboard preamps.
BTW its in the user guide on page 6 for the 2626
know thy gear :rolleyes:

Last edited:
as I found out recently its ok to run into a preamp, with the gain at zero or whatever.
its no different than a pad really....."use your ears" as some say. I doubt the 2626 is going to ruin the sound and the preamp could very likely need a pad if you run it hot.
i just went through this with the ISA One...

Bristol is correct. I have a profire 2626 and use outboard pre's into it all the time. Just plug into the line level inputs on the profire. Your equipment will be fine. Though its a combo jack (XLR and TRS) the line in bypass the preamps.

Last edited:
The line level 1/4 inch inputs on the profires (610 or 2626) bypass the onboard preamps.
BTW its in the user guide on page 6 for the 2626
know thy gear :rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification. I never looked into that until know as I never was interested at the time in outboard pre's. Good thing to know so thanks.

Back