Adding MIDI Port to WinXP computer

DimChandeliers

Greetings,

I have a Dell Dimensions computer with no MIDI port!
I bought a cheap soundcard just so I could use the port.
I can't get it to work. Any suggestions????

Thanks,
Tom

What is the card? Are you using the joystick to midi adapter? Did you install the midi drivers? What software are you using it with?

Me? Im using a basic SB Live, going through the joystick port, and trying to use Pro 52, with no luck whatsoever. Help

It's a no-name card, SB compatible. The seller claimed it was XP compatible but the set-up disc lists Win9x. ME, NT
Installing the hardware went ok but when I tried the set-up exe.
my computer froze. When I rebooted I got the old blue screen safe mode message. Had to remove the card.

Maybe I should just get a USB to midi adaptor.

If you can't get the drivers to work, I'd go for a 2x2 Midiman. You'll be happy with the lack of latency.

Tex, the Pro-52 is Native Instrument's recreation of the SC Prophet 5. It works as a standalone, or as a VST (and probably DXi by now)

Just a thought!
You should have had at least onboard
audio on the computer. Did you disable it.
:cool:

How do you disable onboard audio?
Even with a Dell you should be able to disable it in the bios setup. Usually you hit the delete key when booting up, to go into the setup. When you bootup look for something like "To enter setup press the Del Key" Once your in the setup you will need to look for something like Bios features setup or the like. You just want to disable onboard audio. Dont change anything your not familiar with. If you dont have documentation then check with dell support on how to access the bios and disable the onboard audio.
Its been a long time since computers did not come without a soundcard already installed.
:cool:

Back