adding I/0

dzara 4

hello,

Currently I am getting my audio into my computer through my fireface 800 .

I know soon enough I am going to being buying a analog mixer or a summing

buss. My 800 has 8 analog outs and I know the easiest way to add another

8 is just to buy another fireface 800. Is there any other way to add another

8 outputs to my setup without spending another 1500 bucks on a 800.

I think the answers gonna be "no" but I am new to recording and hoping there

is a cheaper way to do this.

Thanks

Yes, it does have ADAT and I want more than 8 outputs because I can d further seperation for thr 16 NIcerizer I will be purchasing.

please expand :) :)

Thanks

Sloan said:
Audio Nizerizer?

wtf, that even sounds like a ripoff.
But dude, it will "sweeten" the sound, and it's only $2,600! :eek:

Seriously, dzara 4, you do NOT need one of these.

Take that $2,600 and buy some gear that will help you actually record audio. And as a general rule of thumb, once you get your music into the digital realm, don't go back to analog, unless you have quality converters.

If you are new to recording and need advice on what gear you'll need to get up and running, you're in the right place. Ask.

dzara 4 said:
Why do u think I would be wasting money? :)
Because if you are new to recording, neither you nor the "Nicerizer" have the chops to do what you're imagining in your head that they will do.

Anything that claims to "sweeten", "excite" or "finalize" will not make a bad mix sound good. The irony to such devices is that the less a mix needs such devices, the more benefit such devices will provide. Think of it like cooking; if you are still working on making the perfect batch of rice, it's probably a waste for you to go out and buy a jar of saffron for $50/oz because your rice still isn't going to be very good, and could actually become poisonous if you try to use too much saffron to "fix" it. If, however, you are a great cook who can already make a killer paella, a little bit of saffron will actually make it even better.

Save your money instead for good acoustic treatment or an A-list mic preamp/converter signal chain, or stocks in Canadian oil sands extraction companies. Just about anything other than anything whose name ends in "-izer."

G.

Last edited:
Southside, have you noticed what has happened to stocks in Canadian oil shale companies recently? They've totally tanked, not a good investment. Fine audio gear is looking pretty good in comparison right now.

There are a lot of reasons why 16 channels of D to A conversion can be handy. I have my studio set up that way, and eight channels would just not be enough. I basically treat my DAW as an eight buss and eight aux send mixer, when it comes to sending signal to my outboard hardware. Obviously, I can do further processing with plugins in the DAW, which for me is generally some eq and maybe some dynamics processing.

If the Fireface 800 has an ADAT output, what I'd do is get an eight channel converter that has analog and ADAT I/O. Put this on the 800's ADAT connectors and you have your additional eight channels that you need.

As far as the nicerizer, that might be worth it or not. That's awfully expensive for what looks like a basic summing box. I use analog summing, but the unit I have is called the X.Sum and is made by Speck Electronics. You might want to take a look at it, as it has a nice set of features and sounds great. It is also less expensive (around $1,500 street) than the nicerizer, which means you'd have some budget left over for the eight channel converter.

SonicAlbert said:
Southside, have you noticed what has happened to stocks in Canadian oil shale companies recently? They've totally tanked
What better time to buy? It's not like the demand is going to go away or the extraction technologies are going to get more expensive. Buy low, baby, there's upside ahead. :) In 5 years, the increase in the size of the dividend checks will pay for all the pristine I/O and summing he'll need.

In the meantime he can bolster his input chain, refine his monitoring environment, and learn how to push his RME to the limits first, so that when down the line he does actually invest in some A-list conversion and summing, he'll actually be able to take advantage of it.

There's no definitive right and wrong here. You make valid points, Al. It's just that my perspective is that you are not "new to recording", this guy is. And someone who is a rookie doesn't need to spend over three grand (he wants 16 channels, not 8) on such gear before they get other more basic ducks in a row first - like learning how to drive the gear with experience first.

G.

Back