Adding gain to a USB mic? Audix USB12

I bought an Audix USB12 to dictate at work…but the output is really low. The software I use doesn’t allow me access to manually increase the gain. Adjusting it in windows doesn’t affect how it’s heard in the software. I reached out to Audix and they had no solution for me.

So, I’m basically stuck with 3 options:

1) speaking loudly up close to the mic

2) buying a new mic with a gain knob

3) figuring out how to increase the gain on this one.

Before I take it apart, do these types of mics have a small gain pot inside, or am I out of luck?

Thanks!

Speak loudly and close - like the podcasters do is the easiest. But if you have something like Audacity (it's free) you can tell it to make your mic loud - normalisation is the term. Of course, if you are too far away, then it could bring the noise up too - but worth a try.
This is why most of us avoid USB mics. They are always designed to be a one kind of use product. Gain is fixed on virtually all of them. A few have a gain knob.
4th option is to send it back, buy a cheap mic and a cheap interface. Plus an XLR cable.

Speak loudly and close - like the podcasters do is the easiest. But if you have something like Audacity (it's free) you can tell it to make your mic loud - normalisation is the term. Of course, if you are too far away, then it could bring the noise up too - but worth a try.
This is why most of us avoid USB mics. They are always designed to be a one kind of use product. Gain is fixed on virtually all of them. A few have a gain knob.
4th option is to send it back, buy a cheap mic and a cheap interface. Plus an XLR cable.
Yeah, problem is, I don’t have access to the computer settings and can’t install any software (privacy/security reasons). And sometimes I dictate for 13 hours straight. I can only speak loudly for so long. I was hoping there was some internal pot I could crank up. Wishful thinking I know.

A small audio interface that doesn’t require installing software (plug ‘n’ play) would be a great option since I have plenty of standard xlr mics. Any recommendations? Thanks again. I’ve been shouting at this mic right up against my face for a year and it’s time for a change! A New Year!

if you really don't want to spend a fortune the cheap Behringers are OK - but windows always needs drivers for the best performance - but the preset settings will be a killer if they've stopped everything. Can you not just find an old and cheap computer of your own?

if you really don't want to spend a fortune the cheap Behringers are OK - but windows always needs drivers for the best performance - but the preset settings will be a killer if they've stopped everything. Can you not just find an old and cheap computer of your own?
They’re work (hospital) computers and we can’t change them or access them in any way for cyber security and privacy reasons.

Some run Windows 7, other Windows 10. I could probably get IT to update windows drivers, but we can’t install other software.

Cost isn’t an issue. I just need something reliable and adjustable.

Last edited:
Something like a small Tascam or zoom recorder might be simplest, but I guess you need to edit on something?
Yeah, the audio goes directly into our dictation software. We edit in the software. The software is part of the problem. It integrates with its own hand held dictaphone and adjusts the volume automatically. But it won’t adjust the volume of any other microphone. I used the proprietary dictaphone for years, but my elbow hurts so bad from holding it bent all day long I needed something else

I bought an Audix USB12 to dictate at work…but the output is really low. The software I use doesn’t allow me access to manually increase the gain. Adjusting it in windows doesn’t affect how it’s heard in the software. I reached out to Audix and they had no solution for me.

So, I’m basically stuck with 3 options:

1) speaking loudly up close to the mic

2) buying a new mic with a gain knob

3) figuring out how to increase the gain on this one.

Before I take it apart, do these types of mics have a small gain pot inside, or am I out of luck?
The Audix USB12 has a fixed gain structure - I don't know what DAW you use with it - but Logic has a Gain Plugin that you can bet about 30db out of - also on the Channel inputs they have another 30 db of gain- if you don't want to deal with it buy another mic - like the Blue Yeti - that has an onboard gain control.

You need a class compliant audio interface with an adjustable gain control. This might be one of the few circumstances where the Behringer UMC22 would fit the bill. It doesn't need any drivers because it is class compliant in Windows. For most purposes this is a disadvantage because you can't record with low latency in class compliant mode but it should work for you.

You need a class compliant audio interface with an adjustable gain control. This might be one of the few circumstances where the Behringer UMC22 would fit the bill. It doesn't need any drivers because it is class compliant in Windows. For most purposes this is a disadvantage because you can't record with low latency in class compliant mode but it should work for you.
That’s a great option, thanks! I assumed all interfaces needed you to install drivers. I’ll take a look. I could use a nice XLR mic that might help with voice recognition.

I was also looking at the sE Neom. Looks like it has mic gain right on the front. Supposedly plug n play w no need to download drivers. Has anyone tried one?

All of your input is very appreciated.

Jame's idea I am sure will work but can I suggest...https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Chat-Noise-Cancelling-Learners-Connectivity/dp/B07VS3SK3K/ref=asc_df_B07VS3SK3K/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=430825534028&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=354877285846570538&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046156&hvtargid=pla-904824046063&psc=1&mcid=fad93efce6713603b079ac10197f2fac&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=104042186550&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=430825534028&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=354877285846570538&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046156&hvtargid=pla-904824046063

I use that headset with a TECKNET usb dongle that takes the two 3.5mm jack plugs. Works really well and gives plenty of level, also very light and comfortable. I wear it for a couple of hours at a time chatting to son in France on Skype.

No idea why that link has come out that way!

Dave.

Dave, Is this the mic to which you refer? I couldn't open the link.

Sennheiser Chat Headset - Amazon UK

Sennheiser Chat Headset - Newegg

My concern is that with multiple systems (he said Win 7 and Win 10) and all locked down by IT Dept, will he run into issues with other people using a system? Is this a medical situation where there might be multiple doctors dictating? Will each have their own headset or will each system have it's own headset.

Dave, Is this the mic to which you refer? I couldn't open the link.

Sennheiser Chat Headset - Amazon UK

Sennheiser Chat Headset - Newegg

My concern is that with multiple systems (he said Win 7 and Win 10) and all locked down by IT Dept, will he run into issues with other people using a system? Is this a medical situation where there might be multiple doctors dictating? Will each have their own headset or will each system have it's own headset.
Yes, several docs use these computers for a week at a time. We each have separate login credentials, so it’s possible to have different settings, but I would have to get IT to make the changes on each computer I work at which could take months. But they still can’t install any nonnative software or plugins (cyber attacks are a very real thing in the medical field). So I really need a plug n play option. Hopefully those win 7 computers will be phased out really soon.

Yes, several docs use these computers for a week at a time. We each have separate login credentials, so it’s possible to have different settings, but I would have to get IT to make the changes on each computer I work at which could take months. But they still can’t install any nonnative software or plugins (cyber attacks are a very real thing in the medical field). So I really need a plug n play option. Hopefully those win 7 computers will be phased out really soon.
Rich, sort of but the one I found was a bit cheaper.
Fly' note the TECKNET dongle is a USB A/D-D/A converter that takes 3.5mm jack plugs, it is 'Class Compliant' in the way James basic 16 bit suggested AI is. It takes control of the audio system when plugged it. I can be using my MOTU with its ASIO drivers then pull the USB cable, plug in the dongle and a mic icon popps up and the headset works straight off the bat for Skype or indeed if I wanted to do a VO in Audacity, Samplitude or Reaper.

Are you in UK or close friend? Coz if so and you buy the headset and dongle and it does not work for you I will buy it off you for the same money. My headset is a bit battered now (cheap as chips but works well electrically. You cannot expect 'rugged' as well!)

Yes, I know they say "out of stock" but somebody will have one.

Dave.

Last edited:
Happy New Year everyone!

Looking into the UMC22, it states it needs the ASIO4All driver installed. Does anyone know if this is standard/preinstalled on Windows 7 & 10. I can’t find this information online. Thanks!

FWIW..... I have a Behringer UMC204HD. I just plugged it into a Win11 PC that has neither Asio4All or the Behringer drivers. I opened Audacity and in the Audio Settings/Recording the UMC204HD showed up. I did record a few short pieces of audio with a mic to be sure it worked and was able to adjust the mic gain. I'm 'assuming' the UMC22 would work the same. Asio4All or the Behringer drivers would allow for ASIO support and some other stuff which I'm guessing the dictation software may not use or need(?). If the Audix USB12 mic worked aside from volume issues, there's a fair chance the UMC22 likely would as well.

How did the previous mic connect to the computer (1/8" MIC input or other connection?) and was there a 'control/interface box' of sorts between the microphone and the computer that may have a means to start/stop the dictation recording? Or a mouse is used to control start/stop(?)

Attachments

• umc204hd audacity.jpg
    umc204hd audacity.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1
Looking into the UMC22, it states it needs the ASIO4All driver installed. Does anyone know if this is standard/preinstalled on Windows 7 & 10. I can’t find this information online. Thanks!

You only need to install ASIO4All if you are using software that requires ASIO. Most of the software that we discuss around here works better with ASIO drivers but the kind of software that you are using doesn't need them. The built-in Windows class compliant drivers are fine for your application. There are plenty of more expensive devices that are also class compliant but there is little point in spending any more for what you want to do.

FWIW..... I have a Behringer UMC204HD. I just plugged it into a Win11 PC that has neither Asio4All or the Behringer drivers. I opened Audacity and in the Audio Settings/Recording the UMC204HD showed up. I did record a few short pieces of audio with a mic to be sure it worked and was able to adjust the mic gain. I'm 'assuming' the UMC22 would work the same. Asio4All or the Behringer drivers would allow for ASIO support and some other stuff which I'm guessing the dictation software may not use or need(?). If the Audix USB12 mic worked aside from volume issues, there's a fair chance the UMC22 likely would as well.

How did the previous mic connect to the computer (1/8" MIC input or other connection?) and was there a 'control/interface box' of sorts between the microphone and the computer that may have a means to start/stop the dictation recording? Or a mouse is used to control start/stop(?)
Great to know! I hope it will work with windows 7 too.

The Audix connects directly to the pc via USB. The pc automatically recognizes it. My dictation software lets me select it as the audio source, but will not adjust the volume. The handheld dictaphone (came with the dictation software) still works, other than audio. This is nice as it allows me to still use its buttons to start/stop dictation and tab forward to dictation fields.

I no longer have a 204HD but I do have a USB mic and a Behringer UCA202 AND a W7 laptop. Both devices are 16 bit so I can try them to see if they are recognized as 'generic audio device' sans drivers later today.

Pretty sure they will be. Do consider my headset suggestion? Frees you up to move about a bit and cuts out almost all the bad room acoustics.

Dave.

Back