Adding Delta 44 to PC w/ SBLive

mrclay

Hello,

I just received a Delta 44 and although I'd planned to remove my SBlive altogether, I'm wondering how my OS's (dual boot NT4.0/98lite) would handle both? Installation tips?

Since the 44 doesn't have the analog CD-in I suppose I wouldn't be able to play CDs at all (and what about ripping them)? I've an Athlon 650 and I doubt I'll ever use soundfonts, but I would like to do some software sampling. Is this possible w/ 44 alone?

I mainly want to use my PC for recording but it also has to be my mixer now that I bought a dedicated amp. Basically, what do I lose/gain by removing the Live?

Remove the SB when you install the Delta but you can put the SB back in afterwards. The reason for removing it at first is to free up the IRQ's and make sure the Delta works properly.

SB's are still better for no hassle windows support, surround sound and sound fonts.

I've heard of people having both the 44 and SBLive installed with no problems...just make sure that they have their own IRQs. If it doesn't work - you can always take out the SB..

you're going to lose any midi capability/soundfonts by removing the SBLive! (Delta44 has no midi)....

just a guess... but I believe that you can still do software sampling with just the 44 - you just won't be able to control it via an external midi device (keyboard, etc.) without adding some type of midi interface...

as far as playing CDs...I've heard talk around here regarding connecting your CDdrive to the 44 via a virtual connection. you may want to try a search....

I have a system with an SB Live and a Delta 66, and it works beautifully well.

You can play the CDs through the SB Live if you want. Or you can play them digitally through the Delta if you have a media player that supports this. The current version of Windows Media Player can do this, and I know WinAmp was able to also with a plug-in.

Microsoft's new Media Player has a feature called Digital Audio Playback which transfers the data over the IDE cable rather than the audio cable you plug into the CDROM and SB.

If you are using a Cakewalk Product like Sonar or Home Studio 2002 that supports DXi plugins, you can use the LiveSynth DXi softsynth. It lets you load and play Sound Fonts on ANY soundcard, not just the Sound Blaster.

I seriously think you should upgrade your OS if you are going to use the Delta 44. Neither NT4 or 98SE truly support WDM drivers. You would benefit from the increased performance you get with WDM drivers by switching to either 2000 or XP.

NT's last stand?

Well, I dropped the Live and the 44 works fine *except* in multitrack mode in CoolEdit Pro and N-track. Seems like I'm getting regular drop outs lasting about 1/100sec (enough to pop) ranging from every second to several times a second.

Plenty of buffers, CPU below 10%, plenty of memory, I just don't understand.

Playing from winamp or in single-track mode in CEP works fine, but even previewing a gain shift of 0dB or playing a single mono wav in the multitrack editor gets me clicks.

I do most my work in 98lite, which I've completely dedicated to recording so I guess I'll see how it fares, but with system resources not even close to being being peaked, this seems like a problem to me..

Can't be just MME..

Okay, the unit works perfectly in 98Lite (with the MME drivers). There must be some misconfiguration in NT. Why offer NT support if the driver renders the unit effectively unusable? I've mixed 24-track sessions with the Live card..

Waited 45 minutes on hold for tech support before I ran out of prepaid long-distance minutes. Silly me not expecting at least an hour call..

I *have* started to audit my software zips and data for a 2000 upgrade.. NT's been so solid, it'll be sad to see her go.

Back