• Processing Strings (pads - and the real thing

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Backround vocals

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Nothing. I'd rather drink beer and sleep

Votes: 7 10.4%

• Total voters

Shailat

I want to add a fourth article to the site.
I'll try a poll choice to see what people want to read and hear audio samples about.

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Last edited:
how about main vocals? I've had some serious trouble with getting them right on the demo I did 2 months ago. Didn't get them right actually... A live situation seems easier for vocals. More forgiving...

Main vocals is a large topic ! To write a article that would cover every aspect would be a bit to much for a short article.

I can blend in some of the that topic into "delay techniques".
There is more info on that topic in the reverb article as well.

I'll give it some thought if others are interested, to maybe write about it.

Preamps is a good idea but the main aspect of these articles are the audio part. To hear is to believe !
And with pre's thats a bit of a problem as I have to convert all sounds to mp3 and that would drop the sonic quality and maybe hamper the point....

But I'll also give that some thought. One of my best friends and co worker is a pre modifier (IMHO one of the best in the world).
Perhaps I can sit him down to give me a hand somewere in the near future.

I know it wasn't on the list but.......

...actually - I'd love to hear your perspective on recording guitars.... mic'ing, PODing, direct.... etc....

Bruce

How about an article about how you can understand the damn words in that music you record Moshe! ;)

I think background vocals would be an excellent one to do!

Ed

You continue to impress!

I,m gonna state for the record that I would have liked to seen all three done but since you mentioned that the delay techniques would benefit work with lead vocals, I voted for it.

I am familiar with your article on compression but Im not sure I know of the other three. Would you kindly direct me to where I can find those.

Also, would appreciate your input on the thread I started in the Mixing and Mastering forum called "Floating reverb"

sonusman said:
How about an article about how you can understand the damn words in that music you record Moshe! ;)

I think background vocals would be an excellent one to do!
Ed

Hehehe

I have wondered before if rock and funk can only be sung in english only. Some how hearing funk in Russian (no offense) or in Hebrew, just doesnt cut it.......:)

elbenj,
They should all be at the same place as well as a link to ed's compression article.
www.geocities.com/shailat2000/index.com

I'll go take a look at your thread

Alternately, an article about what it's like recording in the middle of a small civil war. The dull thud of the occasional rocket exploding in the distance, extra shock mounts on the mics, low end shelf, that sort of thing...

In addition to the interesting technical details of gear use,I'd sure like some insight into the the thought processes of producing a tune.What kind of decisions are made and for what reasons to shape a recording.

Tom

Delay techniques, definitely. I'm just starting to play around with them and I already think that, when mixing with computer software, you can enhance your sound much better creating "real" delays than by using software reverb, chorus, etc.

One more week for the poll to continue then I start.

Just don't leave it at 10 for delay and 10 for B. Vox
:)

I would totally like to know a pros way of delay. Its so important yet it is often overlooked.

Right now, I am in the dark as far as delay goes. You don't really hear it on a track, yet it adds another proffesional dimension to the track.

How about writing on how to get the best recording from a Hammond organ and a Leslie cabinet. Great setting for the drawbars and What mikes to use for best results would help some of us.

By the way thanks for the help when I got my organ recently.

Back