Addig outboard gear in CEP2?

twostone

Adding outboard gear in CEP2?

Just wanted to know, Can I add outboard FX such as a Lexicon reverb and DBX comp/limiter unit in with a ITB mix. I have a Alesis HD24XR w/Fireport and a Soundcraft mixer and a PC w/CEP2 and 3 FX units and 4 comps. I was using the outboard gear for live but our band on hiatus for now so I like to incorporate these units in with in the box mix since ITB has ton of more features then mixing out of the box Thanks.

Last edited:
twostone said:
Just wanted to know, Can I add outboard FX such as a Lexicon reverb and DBX comp/limiter unit in with a ITB mix. I have a Alesis HD24XR w/Fireport and a Soundcraft mixer and a PC w/CEP2 and 3 FX units and 4 comps. I was using the outboard gear for live but our band on hiatus for now so I like to incorporate these units in with in the box mix since ITB has ton of more features then mixing out of the box Thanks.

Hi TS,
yes, you can.
Regards,
Superspit.

Okay let me re-phase this I got a Alesis HD24XR w/fireport with a Soundcraft E12 mixer that I use to record into HD24 I mix ITB but I would like to add the outboard FX into CEP2. What would be the best way to route the outboard into CEP2 ?

Running this gear on your CEP sessions is easy. Say you want to run the Lexi unit on a track in Cool Edit.

Run an out from your Alesis to your Lexi input via the mixer. That's going to feed the dry signal from your Cool Edit session into the Lexi.

Run an out from the Lexi to the Alesis via the mixer. That's the source you're going to record to a fresh track in Cool Edit.

Load the Cool Edit session with the track you want to effect. Solo the track, so that it's the only thing that's going to the Alesis.

Click the little Out button to the left of that track, and make sure it's running into the Alesis channel that feeds the Lexi.

Then arm an empty track to record the reverb track to, and select as source the Alesis channel that's taking the output from the Lexi.

You'll have to fiddle with levels to get a good signal, but that should do the trick.

When you're done, you'll have a dry track and an effected track. Adjust their relative volumes to get the sound you want.

Same procedure for the compressor/EQ.

Disclaimer: I've never done this. I record on a computer. But it should be the same with any recorder. You don't even have to go via the mixer. You could just connect the Alesis and the Lexi unit. You'd have to listen to what was happening through whatever stereo monitor outs the Alesis uses.

If I don't know what I'm talking about, feel free to abuse me. But only if you can correct what I've got wrong lol.

A thought crosses my mind. Do you have Cool Edit loaded on your Alesis? I don't know how that unit works.

No CEP2 is not loaded in the HD24XR the HD24XR is a stand alone Hard disk recorder with removeable HD caddy's also you have to have the Alesis Fireport to transfer the waves over to your PCto edit in CEP2.

Okay, I think you can do it like I described using the gear with Cool Edit and your computer's soundcard. Try it. Does it work?

Back