ADDICTIVE DRUMS, Setting levels ????

sausy1981

Hi guys,
I'm a bit hung up at the moment about making sure I'm setting my levels right in addictive drums, Firstly when I set up my kit I set all faders and volume meters in Addictive drums to 0db or unity gain, all the kit pieces go to their own track in my daw which is sonar x1, the trouble is that when I play a pattern my drum tracks are too hot relative to how I record my real audio, for example bass, guitar and vocals are recorded with peaks at -12db but the addictive drums tracks are clipping or very very close to clipping....
As far as I can see there are a few options I have but I'm not sure which is the best,
1. I could leave the levels as they are and just bring my drum track faders down (inside sonar), but then i'd be mixing my drums with the faders at the bottom of the scale where the resolution is not great and it's much harder to tweak...
2. Or I could set my level in the little edit window of each kit (inside addictive drums) and leave all other levels at 0, so each drum is peaking at -12db...
3. Or I could set my level in the inserts section of each piece (in addictive drums) and leave all other levels at 0, so each drum is peaking at -12db...
4. Or I could use the mixer inside addictive drums and leave all other levels at 0, and adjust each one till my tracks in sonar are peaking at -12db...
5. And lastly I could use the input trim knob at the top of each track in sonar and leave all other levels at 0, to make sure my drums peak at -12db....

I should also probably mention that the figure of -12db is when my fader postion within sonar is at unity gain....

Any help on this guys would be really really appreciated....

Back