ADAT vs. PC Recording.

gener1c

I am new to recording all together. I have a PIII-450, 128/4.3 (data) and 10.0 (audio), SB AWE 64 Gold. Burner, 21inch monitor. . .

I recently purchased the GINA card by Echo. I plugged it in and it didnt work (DSP Load error). I got to thinking, and I thought that if its this much trouble already to get this working, maybe i should just go ADAT (the Alesis 20LX home recording all in one kit) and forget the PC for recording and just use it for Mixing,editing (sound forge), and burning.

Which is better, PC or ADAT? I obviously want to spend as little money as possible but I want good sound quality for Demo pitching to publishing companies.

I am returning the GINA so if you think the PC is the way to go, I'll buy the LAYLA instead..if not, the ADAT it is.

I would appreciate any help on this. A decision must be made within the next 2 days. THANKS!

For me, I need more hands-on than just sitting at a computer; but those who can handle it can capture music on a computer just as well as on an ADAT system. For me, my computer is another piece of all my recording gear. I use it for sequencing of keyboard modules, FX, and automation. I also use it for 2-track editing, sample-rate converting, dithering, and mastering (mastering for demo purposes only; I would only trust a Mastering Engineer for an album).

Engineer,

Thanks. So youre saying that ADAT is the way to go. I was thinking that. Anyone else is welcome to reply and give further suggestions. BTW, what exactly separates a pro masterer from an amateur masterer? Is it just experience? Thanks!

I think half of it is experience, another is the room, and the other being the gear that is used. Mastering gear is damn expensive. I've seen mastering compressors up to 12k; I'm sure there's others costing even more. Also notice on most big pro albums, the mastering engineer and the recording engineer are not the same people and they are not done at the same place. Although I'm sure some of that has to do with scheduling and touring.

PC recording has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Pro's = Time saving features such as: Easy editing capabilities & Fast locating. Also, software is less expensive than outboard gear.
Con's = You'll have to become fairly computer saavy to "optimize" your system for reliability.

After all I've read about this voodoo called mastering, the key element is having a fresh set of ears go through the entire recording very carefully. That's a lot harder than you might think, without mentioning the toys at their disposal and the experience to use them (or NOT use them) as the case may be.

Shane,

How does on go about optimizing thier computer??? I run win 98 now. ANd i just bought LAYLA by Echo. ANy help would be great!

Back