Adat vs. Hardisk

nay

I'm looking at 8-track recorders. Specifically the Alesis LX-20 and the Roland VS-880 (Rack mount version). Trying to decide on which medium to go with (can't afford the one I want 2" tape). Anyway I know the differences... tape is well tape... hard disk is... well hard disk. I was just wondering what some of you preferred? Not a technical question an opinion question.

The digital route is going to be much more flexible in the long run. All that headroom on all that tape surface is so sweet- BUT:
Do you really think that you'll ever be able to play those two inch tapes on some other two inch machine and have it sound the way you want? But once you've got it digitized, the portability with zero loss edges out the alternative. This becomes less of a factor when you've got BOTH formats available, but you asked an either/or question.

I decided on ADAT. Mainly because when I needed to go to 16 tracks, I just added another ADAT. The all in one boxes are nice and certainly more portable, but I like the flexibility, expanability and standardization of ADAT.

nay, I went with the vs 840ex mainly for the post recording editing ability,(and the price) and they are also expandible to 16,24, or 32 track, by adding aditional units. If money were not an issue I would have bought the vs 1680

Back