ADAT track problem

jonmmartin

I have a blackface that has a problem with track 3. It will play recorded tapes but will not record. I'm connected to the ADAT by an Elco connector. Any ideas?

Good advice. Off the top of my head there seem to three obvious possibilities. First, the input on the ADAT is dead. Second, that particular channel on your ELCO has died. Third, something is happening before the signal is even getting to the ELCO cable (improper routing on the console that you thought was set properly, dead direct out etc...).

What I would do first is rule the source signal out. Run signal to your ADAT through channel three on your console or preamp. It probably will not work since this is the problem you seem to be describing. Now, on your console or preamp, switch from using ELCO channel 3 as a source cable to the ADAT, and run that signal down channel 2, or any other known working channel. If the signal shows up, you have just removed your source as the problem.

Next, take that same source and manually run a cable from it's output directly to the ADAT. This will mean that you are not using the ELCO cable. If the signal shows up in channel three, than your ELCO cable seems to be the culprit. If the signal does not show up, than it is likely that your ADAT needs repairs.

Next I would try

foreverain4 said:
you can also try 2 input mode. plug your source into track 1 and arm track 3.

I could certainly be wrong here, but it stands to reason that this may not work. By plugging into track 1, I believe you would actually be using the converters from track one and most of the circuitry from track one which would not tell you where the problem really lies. Basically, signal may go in track 1 and show on track 3, but track 3 still may not work on it's own. Also, since the question here concerns an ELCO connector, this test would not reveal a problem with the cable for inout 3 in the ELCO snake.

+1

ez_willis said:
Try disconnecting the elco and use a 1/4" cable or the optical connectors to confirm that it's not the cable.

Yep...

*takes a swig of beer with Hank and the boys in the ally*

Works every time...

Yep... yep... yep... yep... ah huh... yep

*Swig*

Adat

I had the same problem onetime, and it is less than likely that it is the elco cables. More than likely it is in the microchip inside the Adat on the analog in board. Which means off to the shop for repairs and signal alignment. This cost about $200.00.

Back